Our Team Blog

It’s Time For The Opening Pitch…

It’s opening day for Major League Baseball fans around the globe and on Boxee.

Passionate fans have been anxiously watching pre-season games in anticipation of today. Now that Opening Day is here, fans can watch every out-of-market regular season game LIVE or on-demand in HD quality on Boxee’s MLB.TV app*. Sign up now for either MLB.TV Premium at $119.99 a year and $24.99 a month, or MLB.TV at $99.99 and $19.99. For fans on the fence about purchasing a subscription, you can access a free game of the day with your MLB.com account through the month of April to help knock it out of the park.

If you haven’t seen a game on MLB.TV, you owe it to yourself to see how good live streaming events can look. MLB.TV has done an amazing job of not only delivering great picture and sound for live games, but they’ve added enough extras to make any techie drool.

Chewbacca Baseball

To start watching your favorite teams go at it, sign up for an account with MLB.com, and then pair your MLB.com account with Boxee.

To everyone who’s lucky enough to be attending a game today, have a hot dog for us. We’ll be cheering from our desk chairs : )

- Team Boxee

* HD quality subject to availability. Blackout and other restrictions apply and are subject to change. Visit MLB.TV for more details

March 31, 2011 at 6:02 pm

24 Responses to “It’s Time For The Opening Pitch…”

1. Steve says:

Yay baseball!! Any plans to support "jump to an inning" and "radio audio overlay" in the future?

• RobSpectre says:

You have the ability to choose between home and away audio feeds currently and with 1.1 we'll be introducing the ability to jump between innings.

Radio is available when the stream is playing, but you won't be able to watch video and listen to the radio stream.

• Stephen says:

Thanks for the reply Rob! Great to hear about the jump to inning. I just saw that MLB had updated their PS3 app to allow the radio version of the broadcast to replace the broadcast version. Not a huge deal though, keep up the good work!

• Chad says:

The radio-overlay feature appears to be already implemented (and working). There is some discussion of this in the boxee box forum . . . in short, go into the settings while the video stream is playing and choose one of the alternate audio streams. In my brief recent experience, stream #2 has been a radio feed.

Many thanks to the team for getting this feature implemented! Pleased to be able to tune in to John Gordon doing the Twins play-by-play for his final summer in the booth.

2. Kermonk says:

"Passionate fans have been anxiously"

waiting for a new patch ;)

• Jochen says:

Exactly, Kermonk!

The app was downright unusable yesterday with its fast-forwarding and freezing. I hope the app gets updated really soon nad we don't have to wait till May.

3. saik says:

where can i see, what games are available for free?

4. Andy says:

Any chance for a similar NFL app this coming fall? (assuming no lockout, that is)

• NFL says:

• Stephen says:

There were rumors floating around…but they are just that, rumors. I would say that the odds are pretty low. But maybe once the DirecTV deal expires they can start to get serious about it.

• gking727 says:

Well, since that deal just recently got extended through the end of the 2014 season, I guess we won't see it anytime soon. :(

5. Jc says:

This is my first time trying mlb via boxee and I'm blown away. Last year I bought the extra innings package from comcast because it was easier to use and DVR, but it meant I couldn't always get my team's feed. I bought the mlb package too, but I only used it when I travelled.

This - mlb.tv via Boxee (running on my windows 7 machine which is connected to my plasma tv) - is so much better. SO MUCH better. I can easily choose my team's feed (SNY), I can choose to watch live or from the start (killer since I live on the west coast and follow the Mets, so I'm usually at work when the game begins), I can hide the scores by default, and the picture quality is good (if not great). I am so stoked!!! (too bad the Mets suck, but that's not a surprise)

Anyway, thanks! And thanks for letting me ramble on. :)

6. Adam says:

Haha! What a fantastic picture I love it. I bet you'll never get to see that one again

7. Ernie says:

Still having a lot of problems. The game starts fine, but within a couple minutes, the sound drops out and the picture starts playing in slow motion, then freezes completely. Nothing seems to help. I've tried restarting, etc., but it still does it. I'm pretty unhappy and thinking of dumping the Boxee and getting something that can play MLB.TV reliably, OR, thinking of just getting out the the MLB.TV contract. Very frustrated and sad.

8. Jeramie says:

If this works half as bad as the NHL Gamecenter for Boxee, don't waste your time or money.

9. Wormzer says:

So I just tried this out and can't get anything but "Your game will begin shortly" on any of the archived games. Does this work for archived games?

• RobSpectre says:

What you are seeing is the bumper MLB places at the beginning of their broadcasts. Streams for games actually start 30-45 minutes before the game starts and plays that bumper graphic on repeat until the broadcast begins.

Unfortunately, their post-processing pipeline hasn't yet started cutting these sections out of all games consistently. You will need to skip forward a bit in order to get to the game.