Our Team Blog

AOL HD App brings more stupendous Internet-only stuff to the TV

If you’re old enough, you remember the days when “the Internet” was synonymous with AOL. They ran a CD by mail outfit that could have covered the entire United States with shiny plastic discs. With your “50 free hours!” you got mail!, a dial-up connection, and an incredible assortment of curated news, video, and audio. They laid the groundwork for most of us to experience the Internet for the first time (although we’d been using BBS’ since 2400 baud).

Fast forward to today, and AOL has become a bastion of high-quality video content that we’re very happy to open up today. Here’s a quick snapshot of what you’ll get with the AOL app available worldwide:

Translogic [Auto] - Check out test-drives, concept cars, supercars, interviews, automotive history lessons and behind-the-scenes footage from the world’s best car-makers including up and comers like Tesla.

Huffington Post Celebrity [Entertainment] - Watch celeb interviews from Cee-Lo, Kim Kardashian, and Fred Armisen (we <3 Portlandia). Think Entertainment Tonight, for the web.

Engadget [Tech] - A huge repository of reviews, and opinions on the latest gadgets, gizmos, software, and all things tech. It’s Mecca for technologists - we recommend daily viewings to keep up to date with Tim, Darren, and the rest of the electronics-laiden crew at Engadget.

The Interface & Sessions [Music] - Check out intimate concert performances and behind-the-scenes footage from big name bands like Train, Adele, TV on the Radio, Iron & Wine, and Gorillaz as well as indie groups like Manchester Orchestra, Battles, Foster the People, The Dodos, and Chk Chk Chk. Seriously people - if you like music, you’ll spend hours in here. You’ll be blown away by what’s available here - seriously, we’ve been asking AOL for access to this content for almost a year now… it’s that good.

Full CD Listening Party [Music] - Turn Boxee into a music jukebox that plays full releases from all types of different artists from Vanessa Carlton (singer of the jangly piano song you secretly love), Electronica veterans Underworld, rapper Black Rob (as opposed to your friend White Mike), and NY’s post-punk plus pianos and pipes band Aficionado.

Moviefone [Movies] - movie trailers for the latest films & celebrity interviews. Watch Leo talk about Inception, Will Ferrell discuss the intense physical training he went through to get in shape for The Other Guys, and Jason Bateman explain what it means to be inside Ryan Reynolds body. [we're hoping there's also a secret easter egg where you can have the moviefone guy read you bedtime stories]

AOL Home OR How I Became Master of My Domain [Home] - Thanks to this section alone, my home Feng Shui is off the charts, I’ve made healthy meals every night this week, and I installed a fountain in my dining room chandelier that can accommodate water, chocolate, or cheese. For all of us who need a little help around the home there’s a near-infinite amount of videos to help teach you how to cook (with Curtis Stone), fix things around the house (with Eric Stromer), keep yourself and kids entertained with crafts (with Kendra), and elevate your home decor game to the next level. And seriously if anyone makes a working fondue fountain inside of a chandelier, we’ll send you a Boxee Box.

Literally this is only the tip of the iceberg of what you’ll get in this app. Check it out today in the App Library and let us know what you think!

July 27, 2011 at 11:33 am

34 Responses to “AOL HD App brings more stupendous Internet-only stuff to the TV”

1. Ook-non-zoo says:

Which geographical regions is this available to?

2. Ook-non-zoo says:

Seems its just small clips - as if i'm going to sit and reach for the remote all the time.

• Rob says:

The good news is that there's long shows and short shows. For example, Engadget shows can be up to an hour, and Translogic shows and music concerts generally run longer (20-30 minutes). Celebrity interviews, cooking shows, are usually around 10 mins. Just depends on what you're in the mood to watch. Since there's no or little ads, all your time is watching the good stuff.

3. Chad says:

Checking out Engadget might be nice. I'd love to see a Spotify app though. Especially since they're just released into the states.

4. You only got 50 free hours? You got ripped of man!

• Andrew Kippen says:

Seriously - that's why we closed our accounts and started new ones with another disc.

5. I can't find the AOL HD app.

I have it set to Apps ALL, and sorted A-Z.

I am in the USA. Why can't I find it?

• Andrew Kippen says:

Sometimes it takes a bit to seed from our servers into your app library. If you're on the Boxee Box, try restarting. If on the software - it should be there by now.

6. Scott Guthrie says:

Ah, 2400 baud. I remember when I upgraded to a 9600 baud modem. I could download a naked lady pic in only 5 minutes. Games like Commander Keen downloaded in 15 or 20 minutes. I was jealous of friends who had pricey USRobotics modems with the proprietary 19.2k speeds. Ohh BBSes how we miss ye!

• Andrew Kippen says:

I had a friend who made me even more jealous by getting an ISDN line!
      Remember Legend Of the Red Dragon?

7. @bradaus says:

ok try and restart the boxee box

8. Eric Pritchett says:

I really really hate the concept of having TV shows or channels in apps. Weather is an app not AOL HD, not Revision 3, etc! Those are channels! I would much rather Click on Shows > Channels > AOL HD and then have it open the app if they must have an app. When I click on Apps I just want apps.

• Andrew Kippen says:

We'll have a chat with AOL and see if we can get them to add content into the TV Show library as well.

We've done that already with Rev3 and it's been great for keeping up to date with the latest eps of Tekzilla and Scam School.

• teknix says:

I really agree with you on this one. I would love to see netflix content added to shows as well.

9. Duped says:

But where is Hulu+? Roku, Samsung, Panasonic, XBox, Android Phones, etc. have Hulu+, but Boxee can’t figure out how to get Hulu’s attention? I don’t buy it. I still suspect someone at Boxee pissed someone at Hulu off…

10. influx2k says:

Oddly I can't add this as a favorite? It doesn't save the setting and will not show up in my favorites apps area.

11. techsmith says:

If you're old enough you'll remember AOL CDs? You're making me feel really old! I remember the AOL floppy disks!

• Andrew Kippen says:

I remember installing Star Trek 25th Anniversary on at least 16 3.5" floppy disk drives.

12. BoxeeStealsSoftware says:

Boxee steals software and disrespects user freedom and license obligations: http://infinityoverzero.com/bbox/

13. Dannyboy says:

iPad app and media server pleeeeasee!!!

14. amazon vod says:

amazon vod?

15. dfgsfdg says:

Go to the http://piratai.net - best software for free

16. Steve says:

Man,I'm trying to play some of the Engadget vids and it's just constantly buffering.. It plays for a minute or two and then buffer, then another minute or two, then buffer.

I've tried both Wifi and wired and I have a solid 10Mps Internet connection.
    I even tried setting the QoS and putting the box in the DMZ.. no dice.
    Very disappointing. :(

17. David says:

Yay, I'll never come back to this app if it just gives this message, "Verification of AOL HD Signature has failed". Epic fail.

18. Eduardo says:

I have the PC version, and this old version this kind of apps seams broken because the boxee "want to share or Next" window shows up every time a video ends. This is because the PC version is old? The experience is better in box version?

19. You only got 50 free hours? You got ripped of man!

20. [...] called AOL HD This app is great if you have are boxee box you must check out this app read more at boxee box blog here some pics of the app from Boxee box blog [...]