boxee :: forums  

Go Back   boxee :: forums > boxee community > boxee for appletv help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:10 AM
theophilusf theophilusf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Default can I save my files (movies) onto apple tv1 with boxee?

hi guys, need help! i recently bought an upgraded 1tb apple tv (1st gen) with the hope of transferring my movies from my mac laptop & saving them on the apple tv. can i do this with boxee?if so, how please. thanx
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:51 AM
darcilicious darcilicious is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orbiting Venus
Posts: 10,125
Default

No, Boxee has no built-in functionality to move, copy, create, or delete files.
__________________
Note: This is a users/community forum. For official support, fill out a Support Request. For User Guides & more, see the Support Site.

Boxee beta 0.9.23.15885 on: HP TouchSmart 600xt/Windows 7 x64 & HP m8400f Vista x86 HTPC running Intelliremote, SageTV 7.1 beta, Orb/MP-1, Subsonic, & AirVideo, with an Olevia 247TFHD & Onyko TX-SR606 with a Harmony 550. Boxee Box v1.2.0.20310 with a 32" Panasonic TC-L32X2; and finally, an HP EX490 MediaSmart Server/WHS+MediaSonic for 12TB of storage.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:05 PM
nuggyblake nuggyblake is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The South - USA
Posts: 765
Send a message via Skype? to nuggyblake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophilusf View Post
hi guys, need help! i recently bought an upgraded 1tb apple tv (1st gen) with the hope of transferring my movies from my mac laptop & saving them on the apple tv. can i do this with boxee?if so, how please. thanx
Darci is correct (damn just once ......).

However its really easy to move files back and forth. Im not sure how you have your ATV setup, but here goes.

1. Using NitoTV you can mount an external USB flash drive, passport, HD to the ATV usb port (check my sig for install instructions).

2. You can also access the ATV through your mac using SMB and AFP (and FTP). SMB is enabled via Boxee, AFP can be enabled via NitoTV (see sig). You can copy files back and forth through Finder (network...). To use SMB you need to enable windows sharing (smb) in system preferences>sharing>File Sharing>Options>share files...SMB...

3. You can use Navi-x/ icefilms to download (through XBMC) to your HD, and delete/ move files on your HD through NitoTV.

4. You can use command line to copy files back and forth. This is rather annoying and much more difficult than afp/smb through finder.

N
__________________
General ATV troubleshooting info - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1551
Switching between wired and wireless ATV connection - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2822
Use Boxee Browser to check your flash version- enter http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

AppleTV 2 WIP http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...l_XBMC_on_ATV2
Current ATV installation instructions - http://forums.boxee.tv/showpost.php?...37&postcount=6
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
darcilicious darcilicious is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orbiting Venus
Posts: 10,125
Default

Quote:
However its really easy to move files back and forth.
See? I left it to you to give the REAL answer
__________________
Note: This is a users/community forum. For official support, fill out a Support Request. For User Guides & more, see the Support Site.

Boxee beta 0.9.23.15885 on: HP TouchSmart 600xt/Windows 7 x64 & HP m8400f Vista x86 HTPC running Intelliremote, SageTV 7.1 beta, Orb/MP-1, Subsonic, & AirVideo, with an Olevia 247TFHD & Onyko TX-SR606 with a Harmony 550. Boxee Box v1.2.0.20310 with a 32" Panasonic TC-L32X2; and finally, an HP EX490 MediaSmart Server/WHS+MediaSonic for 12TB of storage.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Denny Denny is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Posts: 36
Default

I'm trying to cut the cable TV (and the $90/month we're paying) by using AppleTV (1st Gen) with Boxee/XBMC as a replacement for the Bright House (Time Warner) DVR box for my wife.

The Boxee "My TV Shows" listing is missing too many of my wife's favorites (Real Housewive of "X", any Oprah Network shows, etc) and some of the others didn't seem to update very often or have a complete season's worth of episodes. When I was experimenting with Boxee on my laptop PC, I was able to compensate for that very nicely by downloading those shows with TED (Torrent Episode Downloader) and uTorrent. Boxee picked them up nicely from the video file folder. But it filled up my hard drive quickly (only 110G and it was still a general use computer) and the playback on that PC was sometimes a bit wanting.

Now that I have the basic AppleTV with Boxee/XBMC up and running well, I'd like to be able to use the same TED/uTorrent setup to grab those extra shows for my wife. Can something like that be done on AppleTV? The 160G HD should have enough storage.

I realize that it can probably be done thru Navi-X (which I also have running well), but that involves a bit more clicking thru stuff and hunting around than my wife would be willing to tolerate. I need a cable DVR box's ease-of-use funtionality to boost the WAF (Wife-Acceptance-Factor) into the acceptable range...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:31 AM
nuggyblake nuggyblake is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The South - USA
Posts: 765
Send a message via Skype? to nuggyblake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I'm trying to cut the cable TV (and the $90/month we're paying) by using AppleTV (1st Gen) with Boxee/XBMC as a replacement for the Bright House (Time Warner) DVR box for my wife.

The Boxee "My TV Shows" listing is missing too many of my wife's favorites (Real Housewive of "X", any Oprah Network shows, etc) and some of the others didn't seem to update very often or have a complete season's worth of episodes. When I was experimenting with Boxee on my laptop PC, I was able to compensate for that very nicely by downloading those shows with TED (Torrent Episode Downloader) and uTorrent. Boxee picked them up nicely from the video file folder. But it filled up my hard drive quickly (only 110G and it was still a general use computer) and the playback on that PC was sometimes a bit wanting.

Now that I have the basic AppleTV with Boxee/XBMC up and running well, I'd like to be able to use the same TED/uTorrent setup to grab those extra shows for my wife. Can something like that be done on AppleTV? The 160G HD should have enough storage.

I realize that it can probably be done thru Navi-X (which I also have running well), but that involves a bit more clicking thru stuff and hunting around than my wife would be willing to tolerate. I need a cable DVR box's ease-of-use funtionality to boost the WAF (Wife-Acceptance-Factor) into the acceptable range...
No torrent on boxee that works. Utorrent exists (and others) within XBMC.
__________________
General ATV troubleshooting info - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1551
Switching between wired and wireless ATV connection - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2822
Use Boxee Browser to check your flash version- enter http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

AppleTV 2 WIP http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...l_XBMC_on_ATV2
Current ATV installation instructions - http://forums.boxee.tv/showpost.php?...37&postcount=6
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Denny Denny is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggyblake View Post
No torrent on boxee that works. Utorrent exists (and others) within XBMC.
I saw that but I haven't played with it yet. Does anyone know if TED can be set up on aTV to send the uTorrent in XBMC the torrents for downloading?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.


skin based on greenzero from vBSkins.com

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2011, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.