boxee :: forums  

Go Back   boxee :: forums > boxee community > Boxee Box help

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:10 AM
zefer zefer is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Unhappy Desperately missing Last.fm scrobbling, and a few other music features

I've just jumped from XBMC (on the original xbox) to a new Boxee Box, and I'm struggling to come to terms with the missing music functionality. I'm trying to stick with it, but there are a few pieces of functionality that I really miss:

1. Last.fm scrobbling - I really miss this, can we please have it ASAP?
2. Order music by date - I like to see my newly acquired music at the top
3. Disable the visualisations and just have a black screen when music is playing

Lastly, On XBMC, I always chose to list my music by filename (not using the library). Some of my music will not have good ID3 tags and it would be great if Boxee could list the files that it was unable to identify so I can tag them. Can this info be found in a log file somewhere?

Music feels like a 2nd-class citizen on the Boxee Box, I hope this can be addressed soon.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM
l0th l0th is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
1. Last.fm scrobbling - I really miss this, can we please have it ASAP?
Guessing is not welcomed on this forum, so I won't say anything about whether or not bringing back last.fm (and other apps) might be a current priority of Boxee.

Fact: bringing back last.fm support is not listed specifically in any update announcement
Fact: if you downgrade your Box to 0.9, last.fm (both radios and scrobbling) will work beautifully

Quote:
2. Order music by date - I like to see my newly acquired music at the top
It is impossible to tell from the latest UI change announcement whether this is going to be possible in the next update.

Fact: in the latest screenshots of the upcoming UI, there is no music section next to Movies, Shows, and Apps. One can assume (I'm taking a big risk here) that you will still find your music under files (so, that would be an extra click to go to your music, even if you're a local content oriented user). From there, I would like to say that you will have the option to sort by "newest first" and "oldest first," but this is a wild guess (god forbid anyone dares extrapolating something about 'Music' for a change that has only appeared in one screenshot for 'Movies')
Fact: Downgrading to 0.9 will allow you to do what you're looking for. (Go into music, view music by albums, and change sort to 'recently added', you will then see your recent albums)

Quote:
3. Disable the visualisations and just have a black screen when music is playing
I don't think this is possible in either 0.9 or 1.x, but I might be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:43 AM
didatofik didatofik is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefer View Post
I've just jumped from XBMC (on the original xbox) to a new Boxee Box, and I'm struggling to come to terms with the missing music functionality. I'm trying to stick with it, but there are a few pieces of functionality that I really miss:

1. Last.fm scrobbling - I really miss this, can we please have it ASAP?
2. Order music by date - I like to see my newly acquired music at the top
3. Disable the visualisations and just have a black screen when music is playing

Lastly, On XBMC, I always chose to list my music by filename (not using the library). Some of my music will not have good ID3 tags and it would be great if Boxee could list the files that it was unable to identify so I can tag them. Can this info be found in a log file somewhere?

Music feels like a 2nd-class citizen on the Boxee Box, I hope this can be addressed soon.
0.9 > 1...
Xbmc > Boxee software
If someone can hack the BB and put xbmc software, i 'll get interested again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Today, 11:16 AM
zefer zefer is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Default

@l0th, @didatofik

I like the community sharing and streaming that Boxee offers, but I much prefer XBMC for playing local music and video. I'm really pleased to see Boxee are responding to user feedback with the upcoming firmware update. I don't plan to jump ship (back to XBMC), a bit of persistence and feedback will hopefully help them improve.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Today, 11:19 AM
Ph8 Ph8 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefer View Post
@l0th, @didatofik

I like the community sharing and streaming that Boxee offers, but I much prefer XBMC for playing local music and video. I'm really pleased to see Boxee are responding to user feedback with the upcoming firmware update. I don't plan to jump ship (back to XBMC), a bit of persistence and feedback will hopefully help them improve.
Music and Photos have been put on the backburner but they are in the plans. Avner and team knows the music experience needs to be improved, but they want to work on the other issues 1st (local file playback, online content fixes) before moving on to the other parts. Your not the 1st person and you wont be the last to request a more robust music experience
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Today, 11:23 AM
zefer zefer is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
Music and Photos have been put on the backburner but they are in the plans. Avner and team knows the music experience needs to be improved, but they want to work on the other issues 1st (local file playback, online content fixes) before moving on to the other parts. Your not the 1st person and you wont be the last to request a more robust music experience
Great stuff, thank you, this is as I thought. The only thing that really bugs me, is the lack of Last.fm scrobbling.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread Today, 11:27 AM
Ph8 Ph8 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefer View Post
Great stuff, thank you, this is as I thought. The only thing that really bugs me, is the lack of Last.fm scrobbling.
You may want to contact one of the Boxee team or Last.fm to see why its not there. They may be able to tell you. If it is a case of waiting on Last.fm then it would give you and other incentive to push Last.fm to move forward with getting Boxee what they need.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
feature request, last.fm, music, music recognition, visualization

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.


skin based on greenzero from vBSkins.com

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2010, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.