Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Installing boxee on ATV 1st Gen

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    to be fare boxee still has more apps selections compare to other devices like a Toshiba Blu Ray Player...though people don't just buy the bdp just to watch internet videos but bluray disc

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The South - USA
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaggerz View Post
    to be fare boxee still has more apps selections compare to other devices like a Toshiba Blu Ray Player...though people don't just buy the bdp just to watch internet videos but bluray disc
    If I had the ability to ban you I would........

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    So I just picked up my atv1 last week. Went through 3 thumb drives trying to create a patch stick! Finally got that going and to my surprise there was no boxee. In all honesty that was half the reason I got this setup. To have itunes and boxee on the same platform. So, I tried to do this install and when it gets to the part to install nito tv (step 4) via putty/WinSCP, I can't get the second password to work. Frontrow/Frontrow is fine. But Alpine doesn't seem to do it for me. I've tried moving files over to the ATV via WinSCP to no avail. Can't get anything to show up in the downloads section. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm not a fan of XBMC because it's too slow and complicated for the wife to even be wiling to give it a chance. Just hoping that boxee can offer some redemption for this purchase. Any help?

    Side note. I have since removed the jailbreak to start over completely.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The South - USA
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesiman View Post
    So I just picked up my atv1 last week. Went through 3 thumb drives trying to create a patch stick! Finally got that going and to my surprise there was no boxee. In all honesty that was half the reason I got this setup. To have itunes and boxee on the same platform. So, I tried to do this install and when it gets to the part to install nito tv (step 4) via putty/WinSCP, I can't get the second password to work. Frontrow/Frontrow is fine. But Alpine doesn't seem to do it for me. I've tried moving files over to the ATV via WinSCP to no avail. Can't get anything to show up in the downloads section. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm not a fan of XBMC because it's too slow and complicated for the wife to even be wiling to give it a chance. Just hoping that boxee can offer some redemption for this purchase. Any help?

    Side note. I have since removed the jailbreak to start over completely.
    Its well documented (read this forum) that boxee is no longer supported on this platform. The only version that works (barely) is boxee beta. The desktop version of boxee is dead, no longer supported. The patchstick, Ie: atvusbcreator works, but there is no longer a version of boxee that is downloaded (Software also does not work). XBMC Eden and Dharma can be downloaded, and frankly that is your only choice. Alpine is the password (root being the user)for the 2nd gen ATV, so it wont work.

    It is possible to install boxee beta and do a variety of things with the atv including installing a different OS and a video encoder for 1080p video. Instructions to manually install boxee etc are in my signature including links for boxee beta. Please read them and follow them to a T or they will not work.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The South - USA
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    UPDATE: I decided to bork and re-install the ATV with XBMC and Boxee beta. My instructions are still valid. To summarize;

    1. Factory Restore the ATV
    2. Update to 3.0.2 within the ATV (latest ATV OS)
    3. Run atvusbcreator
    4. Update launcher (3.2.5)
    5. Install XBMC from downloads
    6. Install Nito (see instructions)
    7. Update Nito to 1.0
    8. Run Smart Installer to download the 10.4.9 recovery dmg
    9. Locate and copy the OS.dmg to ~/frontrow/documents
    10. Re-run Smart Installer
    11. Copy boxee beta.app to root /applications NOT ~/frontrow/applications.

    You can launch boxee from Launcher at this point.

    2 issues atm - flash plug-in/ crystalHD card driver

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Orbiting Venus
    Posts
    15,415

    Default

    2 issues atm - flash plug-in
    Is this in reference to the warning message you get when launching Boxee? Or something else?
    Note: This is a users' community forum. For official support, submit a Support Request.
    You can also find out how to Get Help or read the Boxee TV and Boxee Box Documentation.

    Boxee Box v1.5 with a 32" Panasonic TC-L32X2.
    Plex running on HP TouchSmart 600xt, iPhone 4, iPad 2, and HP m8400f Vista x86 HTPC which is also running:
    Plex Media Server/SageTV 7.1/Intelliremote via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550
    with everything orbiting an HP EX490 MediaSmart Server/WHS+MediaSonic w/12TB of storage.


    "Some people just aren't happy unless they're disappointed or angry."

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The South - USA
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
    Is this in reference to the warning message you get when launching Boxee? Or something else?
    No, you need to create the Internet Plugins folder, then manually install the flashplayer and xpt. It works then. Ill update this later. It works though, and surprisingly well. I used Justin.tv, Navi-X, and a few other apps, with local content of course. The website that hosts the crystalHD drivers is down so the launcher driver install script does not work. Im trying to work out how to install these manually.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The South - USA
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nuggyblake View Post
    No, you need to create the Internet Plugins folder, then manually install the flashplayer and xpt. It works then. Ill update this later. It works though, and surprisingly well. I used Justin.tv, Navi-X, and a few other apps, with local content of course. The website that hosts the crystalHD drivers is down so the launcher driver install script does not work. Im trying to work out how to install these manually.
    To install Flash, you need to create a Folder with the Root Library folder called Internet Plug-Ins. You can use sftp to do this (cyberduck is easiest). Copy the Flash Player.plugin to the location. You can also run Nito "install flash player".

    Update: The only flash player that seems to work with JustinTV is 10.3.183.17. You can download older versions from;

    http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...-versions.html
    Last edited by nuggyblake; August 17th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The South - USA
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nuggyblake View Post
    To install Flash, you need to create a Folder with the Root Library folder called Internet Plug-Ins. You can use sftp to do this (cyberduck is easiest). Copy the Flash Player.plugin to the location. You can also run Nito "install flash player".

    Update: The only flash player that seems to work with JustinTV is 10.3.183.17. You can download older versions from;

    http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...-versions.html
    I just re-did this again. In order to get boxee beta working, you need to manually install the flash plug-in AND manually create the folder "Internet Plug-Ins".

    For those of you who care, I decided to re-format the atv HD and start from scratch also. I have tested the two resurrection tools available, CrystalBuntu and OpenElec.

    CrystalBuntu did not work for me after multiple attempts, however OpenElec was flawless at resurrecting the HD from scratch.

    Links to both are as follows;

    http://stmlabs.com/projects/

    and

    http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?ti...LEC_on_AppleTV

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •