Volume Controls Should Adjust Mixer Level Not Element of Flash Video

• Version:
    0.9.21
  • Operating System:
    Apple TV, Windows 7
  • Number of attachments:

Description

Boxee volume control should change the operating system volume instead of having an internal volume.
Another reason is having Boxee running other components such as flash and changing Boxee volume does not apply to the flash volume which is a problem.

Rafael: when issue resolved, need to stop prompting the application message "changing volume in this video is not supported"

User's Notes:
The current volume controls are pretty flaky:
don't work on lots of Apps and often stop working on Hulu videos. Why not just have the volume-controls change the default operating system mixer level? This would be much more robust.

Linux Note: I have actually manually done this by disabling the controls in my Lircmap file and added an irexec command to my generic .lircrc file that adjust the volume using alsamixer. However, in this scheme no indication of volume change is shown on the screen. I think boxee should do something similar when changing volume.

Issue Links

Activity

Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 15/Dec/09 5:06 AM
jamesfoster:
I thought I would clone this issue as it is still a problem in the beta.

Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 15/Dec/09 5:06 AM jamesfoster: I thought I would clone this issue as it is still a problem in the beta. The message "Volume Action is not available" makes no sense when you have access to the output volume of the audio mixer directly. -- The current volume controls are pretty flaky: don't work on lots of Apps and often stop working on Hulu videos. Why not just have the volume-controls change the default ALSA (or Pulse) mixer level? This would be much more robust. I have actually manually done this by disabling the controls in my Lircmap file and added an irexec command to my generic .lircrc file that adjust the volume using alsamixer. However, in this scheme no indication of volume change is shown on the screen. I think boxee should do something similar when changing volume.
Scott added a comment - 06/Jan/10 3:51 AM
Show
Scott added a comment - 06/Jan/10 3:51 AM @jamesfoster Thanks for the info, I'm going to do the same to my .lircrc. Unfortunately this doesn't help users on Mac or Windows, so I agree that something needs doing for the long term.
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 14/Jan/10 5:25 AM
Matt Decker wrote:
This has really been an ongoing issue from Alpha through to the current beta.

Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 14/Jan/10 5:25 AM Matt Decker wrote: This has really been an ongoing issue from Alpha through to the current beta. Some applications (hulu being one) don't allow you to change the volume. I understand if may be difficult in some cases to access the volume control of the flash player programmatically in some cases but it seems that in these cases the volume show control the system or main boxee app volume. Volume should always work. If it can't control the flash player it should control the system volume. Something should work here. It's a real mood kill to have to get up to lower the volume when a commercial comes on. I can (barely) live without rewind, fastforward and maybe even pause and can understand those technical obstacles a little more than not having access to the volume.
Russell Ferri added a comment - 07/May/10 3:56 PM
Show
Russell Ferri added a comment - 07/May/10 3:56 PM I find this the most annoying "bug" in boxee - there are many sources that blast the sound, and I can't control it with my remote. I hope this gets fixed soon!
Haim Bondar [Boxee] added a comment - 06/Jun/10 10:48 AM
fixed in r12169
currently works on linux and windows.
Show
Haim Bondar [Boxee] added a comment - 06/Jun/10 10:48 AM fixed in r12169 currently works on linux and windows.
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 07/Jun/10 7:58 AM - edited
reopen. only working on Windows.
verified using 0.9.21.12086
will be closed when Mac and Linux are also resolved.
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 07/Jun/10 7:58 AM - edited reopen. only working on Windows. verified using 0.9.21.12086 will be closed when Mac and Linux are also resolved.
Haim Bondar [Boxee] added a comment - 14/Jun/10 11:24 AM
works on all windows, ubuntu and OSX.
since r12347
Show
Haim Bondar [Boxee] added a comment - 14/Jun/10 11:24 AM works on all windows, ubuntu and OSX. since r12347
james foster added a comment - 15/Jun/10 8:09 PM
Great stuff.

When can we see the next release?
Show
james foster added a comment - 15/Jun/10 8:09 PM Great stuff. When can we see the next release?
Ami Ben-David [Boxee] added a comment - 20/Jun/10 4:30 AM
issue does not apply to boxee-0.9.21.12419.
the volume settings does not exist.
Show
Ami Ben-David [Boxee] added a comment - 20/Jun/10 4:30 AM issue does not apply to boxee-0.9.21.12419. the volume settings does not exist.
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 22/Jun/10 5:21 AM
sorry to inform that although the revision fix is 0.9.21.12347,
this great improvement will not be in the coming version 0.9.21.124xx
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 22/Jun/10 5:21 AM sorry to inform that although the revision fix is 0.9.21.12347, this great improvement will not be in the coming version 0.9.21.124xx
james foster added a comment - 22/Jun/10 6:22 AM
interesting.

why?

what does "the volume settings does not exist." mean?

will it be in the release after?
Show
james foster added a comment - 22/Jun/10 6:22 AM interesting. why? what does "the volume settings does not exist." mean? will it be in the release after?
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 22/Jun/10 6:49 AM - edited
james,
Q: why?
A: because it did not got into the version we are about to release asap.

Q: what does "the volume settings does not exist." mean?
A: The playback OSD used to have a "volume settings " and it was removed.

Q: will it be in the release after?
A: Yes.
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 22/Jun/10 6:49 AM - edited james, Q: why? A: because it did not got into the version we are about to release asap. Q: what does "the volume settings does not exist." mean? A: The playback OSD used to have a "volume settings " and it was removed. Q: will it be in the release after? A: Yes.
james foster added a comment - 22/Jun/10 8:47 AM
Thanks.

Looking forward to it.
Show
james foster added a comment - 22/Jun/10 8:47 AM Thanks. Looking forward to it.
haveringcottage added a comment - 10/Nov/10 11:34 AM

Show
haveringcottage added a comment - 10/Nov/10 11:34 AM the comments seem to suggest this issue is resolved, however the status still shows as unresolved... Once the fix is in place, does this mean boxee will be able to adjust the volume on a BBC iplayer video?
haveringcottage added a comment - 26/Apr/11 4:58 AM

Show
haveringcottage added a comment - 26/Apr/11 4:58 AM Why could the rationale behind this fix not be applied to the recent changes to the boxee box volume problem....?

People