IEEE802.11n wifi is working slower than expetcted

• Version:
    1.0.1.16319
  • Operating System:
    Boxee Box
  • Number of attachments:

Description

If i connect to my D-Link DIR-635 router with the 1.0.1.16319 firmware I'm not able to use IEEE 802.11n. It will only use 802.11g what causes other issues since the bandwith is to small.

The router settings are like below:
SSID: "Keine Lust" (Without the ")
802.11 Mode : "Mixed IEE802.11n and 802.11g"
Enable Auto Channel Scan : off (same issue if on)
Wireless Channel: "2.437 GHz - CH 6"
Transmission Rate : "Best (automatic)"
Channel Width : "Auto 20/40MHz"
Visibility Status : "Visible"
Security Mode : "WPA-Personal"
WPA Mode : "WPA2-Mode"
Cipher Type : "TKIP and AES"
Group Key Update Interval : "3600 seconds"

If i reset the box to factory defaults and avoid the automatic upgrade it connects quite well. Seems something has changed between fimware version 09.21.14131 and the 1.x release that is needed for 802.11n.

Issue Links

Activity

Hide
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 07/Dec/10 10:34 AM
Fabian,
1. in general, always use the latest Boxee firmware.
please try to use: Cipher Type : "AES" and comment here if this works for you.
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 07/Dec/10 10:34 AM Fabian, 1. in general, always use the latest Boxee firmware. 2. There are few WiFi security sachems which are not properly supported and we are working to fix this ASAP. see BOXEE-7318 please try to use: Cipher Type : "AES" and comment here if this works for you.
Hide
Fabian Bader added a comment - 07/Dec/10 5:30 PM
Show
Fabian Bader added a comment - 07/Dec/10 5:30 PM After changing the Chiper Type to AES only it connects to the wlan with IEEE 802.11n but the performance is still very poor. The Dlink router shows a data rate from 65 MBit/s max. The signal is at 88% and the distance is not more than 20 feet. At the moment I use the latest Boxee fIrmware, I just downgraded to check if I can connect with the old one.
Hide
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 08/Dec/10 5:04 AM
just to clarify again the problem:
if this is the problem than this is not an authentication schema issue.
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 08/Dec/10 5:04 AM just to clarify again the problem: You do not have a problems to connect to the wifi router. Your problem is that Boxee Wifi connection is too slow? if this is the problem than this is not an authentication schema issue.
Hide
Fabian Bader added a comment - 08/Dec/10 7:32 AM
Show
Fabian Bader added a comment - 08/Dec/10 7:32 AM At first I couldn't connect at all. Then I changed, as you suggested, the Chiper Type to AES and now the Boxee connects. But now the performance is very poor, mostly the same as before with 54 MBit (802.11g)
Hide
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 09/Dec/10 9:24 AM
please install this version and try and see if the problem remain.
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 09/Dec/10 9:24 AM Fabian, I have sent you an email with instruction how to upgrade to Boxee early access version 1.0.2.16619 please install this version and try and see if the problem remain. this version also contain more WiFi logging which will help us to investigate the problem.
Hide
Fabian Bader added a comment - 09/Dec/10 4:13 PM
Show
Fabian Bader added a comment - 09/Dec/10 4:13 PM Hi Rafael, thanks for the maill. I installed the new version and the wifi issue got much better. I now get, as expected, a 100% signal and mostly better datarates. But still the dlink router shows a max. of 65 Mbps for the box, and big mkv (1080p) keep to buffer very often. But the performance is much better than before. I send the latest logfile to you and I hope you can use those for further troubleshooting. The last thing to mention is that I changed the option "Enable Auto Channel Scan" to "on" and got better performance. Before that I had to set the channel myself.
Hide
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 12/Dec/10 4:58 AM
thanks fabian,
I am changing the issue subject to reflect that the problem is wifi slowness.
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 12/Dec/10 4:58 AM thanks fabian, I am changing the issue subject to reflect that the problem is wifi slowness.
Hide
Fabian Bader added a comment - 20/Dec/10 11:35 AM
(start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
DE: (2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
EN: (2402 - 2472 @ 40), (3, 27)

Show
Fabian Bader added a comment - 20/Dec/10 11:35 AM Hi Rafael, I checked a recent debug file (dmesg) from the box and noticed that it uses always the wifi regulatory domain "US", even if you chose another country in the settings. In my case this other country would be Germany. Maybe this is an issue since both country's allow slightly other frequency ranges. (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp) DE: (2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW) EN: (2402 - 2472 @ 40), (3, 27) Based on http://wireless.kernel.org/download/wireless-regdb/wireless-regdb-2010.11.24.tar.bz2 file db.txt Would it be possible to use the country the user has chosen for configuring the regulatory domain.
Hide
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 20/Dec/10 11:44 AM
thanks fabian,
I have reported issue BOXEE-7660 based on your latest comment.
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 20/Dec/10 11:44 AM thanks fabian, I have reported issue BOXEE-7660 based on your latest comment.
Hide
markus hübner added a comment - 15/Jan/11 3:02 PM
Related to this seems also: http://jira.boxee.tv/browse/BOXEE-6967
Show
markus hübner added a comment - 15/Jan/11 3:02 PM Related to this seems also: http://jira.boxee.tv/browse/BOXEE-6967
Hide
dave added a comment - 23/Feb/11 5:16 PM - edited
I'm seeing the same issue on my boxee box version 1.0.4.17443

eth1 Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: <removed>
                    ESSID:"<removed>"
                    Mode:Managed
                    Frequency:2.422 GHz (Channel 3)
                    Quality:4/5 Signal level:-60 dBm Noise level:-92 dBm
                    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
                        Group Cipher : CCMP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
                              9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
                              48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

I'd be glad to help in any way I can to find a resolution to this.
Show
dave added a comment - 23/Feb/11 5:16 PM - edited I'm seeing the same issue on my boxee box version 1.0.4.17443 I have a dlink dir-655 wireless n router and is configured to be in 802.11n only mode. Boxee is able to connect to this N network, but looking at the logs it appears the boxee is only connecting at g speeds: You can see the "Bit Rates" max out at 54MB/s which is not fast enough to stream some 1080p content. eth1 Scan completed :           Cell 01 - Address: <removed>                     ESSID:"<removed>"                     Mode:Managed                     Frequency:2.422 GHz (Channel 3)                     Quality:4/5 Signal level:-60 dBm Noise level:-92 dBm                     IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1                         Group Cipher : CCMP                         Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP                         Authentication Suites (1) : PSK                     Encryption key:on                     Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s                               9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s                               48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s I should also say that the actual transfer rates appear to be right around 20Mb/s or less, as I see intermittent buffering on videos around that bit rate. I'd be glad to help in any way I can to find a resolution to this.

People