Adding Airplay / Airtunes (from Apple) to the BB

• Operating System:
    Boxee Box
  • Number of attachments:
  • Description:

AirPlay is open source
    Show
    AirPlay/AirTunes lets you stream music throughout your entire house — wirelessly Airplay would allow the BB to receive stream musique/film from your iPad/iPhone... to the BB EX: I start to watcha movie in the train and I can finish to watch it on my BB same for musique ;-) AirPlay is open source

Activity

rafael added a comment - 19/Dec/10 5:05 AM
This issue is awaiting review from Boxee Product Management.
Show
rafael added a comment - 19/Dec/10 5:05 AM This issue is awaiting review from Boxee Product Management. If you are keen to have this feature implemented, please Comment and Vote for it.
CP added a comment - 20/Dec/10 10:34 PM

Show
CP added a comment - 20/Dec/10 10:34 PM This would be great, here is some information on an implementation of exactly this for XBMC that might be a good starting point for an implementation in Boxee: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/20/airplay-running-on-xbmc-linux-box/
Stefan Zafiratos added a comment - 25/Dec/10 4:32 AM

Thanks!
Show
Stefan Zafiratos added a comment - 25/Dec/10 4:32 AM It would be a killer feature and should definitely be implemented. Lots of users that have BoxeeBox will not even realize that they can vote for features etc but if let's say someone wants a box that has Netflix for example and supposedly Boxee will get it soon.... and they have an iDevice, they'll most likely get the AppleTV because of this feature alone. Implementing it would even out the playing field and considering there are so many devices out there that post videos on tv etc... this would really help Boxee differentiate itself! I say go for it if possible guys. Thanks!
Cedric Tomas added a comment - 25/Dec/10 4:45 AM
Show
Cedric Tomas added a comment - 25/Dec/10 4:45 AM I agree that would be a killer feature compare to competition !!! And if you guys support Air Print too people would be able to print from websites too !
Stefan Zafiratos added a comment - 25/Dec/10 4:50 AM
AirPrint = whatever...

Show
Stefan Zafiratos added a comment - 25/Dec/10 4:50 AM AirPrint = whatever... I understand bringing features that are good for the living room but AirPrint? About 80-90% of people have this in the living room... without a printer attached. you need drivers etc... and 1GB of NAND is not enough... and it's also pointless... most people have computers with printers attached to them and if they want airprint they can use their iphone for it. I don't see the point of AirPrint in boxee... this is not an all purpose computer replacement but a media center... not an office all around computer
Mark Duinhoven added a comment - 26/Dec/10 10:31 AM
Getting less and less impressed by the feature set. Especialy here in Europe.
Show
Mark Duinhoven added a comment - 26/Dec/10 10:31 AM +1 Really want Airplay/ Airtunes was kind of disapointed to find it wasn't possible on the BoxeeBox since I have seen it work in XMBC Getting less and less impressed by the feature set. Especialy here in Europe.
markus hübner added a comment - 26/Dec/10 11:16 AM
This is a worldwide renown feature, already many AV Receivers have it
Show
markus hübner added a comment - 26/Dec/10 11:16 AM This is a worldwide renown feature, already many AV Receivers have it
Brian Leach added a comment - 03/Jan/11 5:01 PM
+1 this would be awesome
Brian Leach added a comment - 03/Jan/11 5:01 PM +1 this would be awesome
Julian Scarfe added a comment - 03/Jan/11 5:54 PM
+1; anyway to make itunes content more accessible to boxee
Show
Julian Scarfe added a comment - 03/Jan/11 5:54 PM +1; anyway to make itunes content more accessible to boxee
Cedric Tomas added a comment - 04/Jan/11 7:49 AM - edited
Here is a quote from the Boxee box forum that could be helpful :

Show
Cedric Tomas added a comment - 04/Jan/11 7:49 AM - edited Here is a quote from the Boxee box forum that could be helpful : http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?p=143687 [QUOTE=StevenR;143685]I've taken a look at the Python code, and it might be possible to convert it to be able to run on the Boxee Box. It [b]is[/b] possible to run Python scripts on the Boxee Box, due to two things: 1) Boxee applications are based on Python and can be developed to run a Python file instead of displaying a window. 2) If an application runs a Python file and that file contains long running code (e.g. an infinite loop), the code will be running in the background even when that application is exited. Providing the Python code is compatible with the Boxee Box, it could be turned into a Boxee application with the only issue being that you need to start that application every time the Box is restarted. I've already successfully done this with a Python script for a simple web server. There is another issue with running it on the Boxee Box - a lot of the HTTP commands have been removed, including the PlayFile command which the script relies on. However, with the script running directly in Boxee, it should be possible to create an updated Boxee_media_backend.py file which directly uses the Boxee Python API to implement the same functionality. I'll have another dig through the code and see how feasible this might be.[/QUOTE]
Arjan Schrijver added a comment - 06/Jan/11 9:43 AM
Show
Arjan Schrijver added a comment - 06/Jan/11 9:43 AM May be you can set Boxee Box as an Remote for iTunes on you're pc/mac, like this one: http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8
Peter Aquinde added a comment - 07/Jan/11 4:19 PM
Show
Peter Aquinde added a comment - 07/Jan/11 4:19 PM Yes, I would SO like this feature in the BB. Airtunes more than Airplay, but that's just me.
Salomon Meij added a comment - 09/Jan/11 12:09 PM
I would love this, as well.
Show
Salomon Meij added a comment - 09/Jan/11 12:09 PM I would love this, as well.
Cedric Tomas added a comment - 09/Jan/11 12:32 PM
Air play is video and audio knowed before as AirPlay with only audio
Show
Cedric Tomas added a comment - 09/Jan/11 12:32 PM Air play is video and audio knowed before as AirPlay with only audio
Tyson Edwards added a comment - 09/Jan/11 12:35 PM
AirPlay would be highly beneficial...

Show
Tyson Edwards added a comment - 09/Jan/11 12:35 PM AirPlay would be highly beneficial... In any case, it has been shown that DRMed content can be presented live without said DRM to a third-party AirPlay device. The idea there being that the content is simply being "displayed" there, and not actually stored there. People with iTunes Purchases could find themselves with an easier change-over if they found themselves with AirPlay on Boxee, as it would enable them to keep access to their entire media library in the change-over to new hardware.
Cedric Tomas added a comment - 09/Jan/11 12:43 PM
Show
Cedric Tomas added a comment - 09/Jan/11 12:43 PM Maybe it's all ready coming as on the demo of the Boxee iPad app they are showing some kind of airplay
markus hübner added a comment - 09/Jan/11 2:07 PM
Show
markus hübner added a comment - 09/Jan/11 2:07 PM Why is the priority of this bug "minor" when so many users are demanding it and there are an amazing 55 votes for it?!! Should be really adressed for SP4 parallel to when the boxee Box iPad App. will be released about that time.
Cedric Tomas added a comment - 09/Jan/11 2:15 PM
If they could listen to you !

The work as all ready been done for SMBC so it should work on Boxee
Show
Cedric Tomas added a comment - 09/Jan/11 2:15 PM If they could listen to you ! The work as all ready been done for SMBC so it should work on Boxee
Jens K added a comment - 14/Jan/11 9:56 AM
Jens K added a comment - 14/Jan/11 9:56 AM +1
Matthias Gevers added a comment - 17/Jan/11 9:21 AM
Show
Matthias Gevers added a comment - 17/Jan/11 9:21 AM I am also very interested in Airplay so this would be the reason not to buy AppleTV
Tom Beech added a comment - 19/Jan/11 8:38 AM
+1 for me, this is a must have feature.
Show
Tom Beech added a comment - 19/Jan/11 8:38 AM +1 for me, this is a must have feature.
Mathew Winstone added a comment - 27/Jan/11 9:52 PM
Definitely +1 for me. If I could vote more than once I would :-)
Show
Mathew Winstone added a comment - 27/Jan/11 9:52 PM Definitely +1 for me. If I could vote more than once I would :-)
Pascal Vantrepote added a comment - 31/Jan/11 10:12 PM - edited
Same here, this feature will be really useful.
I hope its help.
Show
Pascal Vantrepote added a comment - 31/Jan/11 10:12 PM - edited Same here, this feature will be really useful. This Python script is working on OSX (https://github.com/PascalW/Airplayer) but not with the BB. I hope its help.
Joeri De Haes added a comment - 03/Feb/11 6:50 AM
+1 for me to. Would love this feature.
Show
Joeri De Haes added a comment - 03/Feb/11 6:50 AM +1 for me to. Would love this feature.
Olly Stedall added a comment - 16/Feb/11 12:38 AM
+1 Add my vote for this!
Show
Olly Stedall added a comment - 16/Feb/11 12:38 AM +1 Add my vote for this!
Sven added a comment - 24/Feb/11 8:58 AM
+1 would be a killer feature
Sven added a comment - 24/Feb/11 8:58 AM +1 would be a killer feature
Bart ten Brinke added a comment - 27/Feb/11 2:11 PM
+1. This or will be buying me an airport extreme really soon.
Show
Bart ten Brinke added a comment - 27/Feb/11 2:11 PM +1. This or will be buying me an airport extreme really soon.
Olly Stedall added a comment - 28/Feb/11 11:06 AM
Show
Olly Stedall added a comment - 28/Feb/11 11:06 AM The Boxee Get Satisfaction page has some more ideas on this: http://getsatisfaction.com/boxee/topics/add_itunes_airplay_support_to_boxee
Jorge Serna added a comment - 28/Feb/11 11:43 AM
+1 for me too
Jorge Serna added a comment - 28/Feb/11 11:43 AM +1 for me too
Gercek added a comment - 28/Feb/11 2:10 PM
This should be TOP priority for Boxee Box!
Show
Gercek added a comment - 28/Feb/11 2:10 PM This should be TOP priority for Boxee Box!
Arash Negari added a comment - 01/Mar/11 6:22 AM
Arash Negari added a comment - 01/Mar/11 6:22 AM +1
Sean Cavanaugh added a comment - 02/Mar/11 2:54 PM
this would kill the apple tv in its tracks :)
Show
Sean Cavanaugh added a comment - 02/Mar/11 2:54 PM this would kill the apple tv in its tracks :)
Steve Copous added a comment - 02/Mar/11 7:29 PM
Would absolutely love to see this on the Boxee Box.
Show
Steve Copous added a comment - 02/Mar/11 7:29 PM Would absolutely love to see this on the Boxee Box.
Riyad Chowdhury added a comment - 02/Mar/11 8:44 PM

Show
Riyad Chowdhury added a comment - 02/Mar/11 8:44 PM With the new features coming out on iOS 4.3, I would LOVE to have airplay on the Boxee Box. The new Xtreamer box thats coming out features airplay support, I think boxee should add it too! http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/24/xtreamer-prodigy-features-airplay-support-usb-3-and-a-gui-that/
markus hübner added a comment - 08/Mar/11 1:13 PM
Demand increases, any chance to get this into 1.1?
Show
markus hübner added a comment - 08/Mar/11 1:13 PM Demand increases, any chance to get this into 1.1?
Sean Tauber added a comment - 08/Mar/11 11:20 PM
+1 This would be awesome!
Show
Sean Tauber added a comment - 08/Mar/11 11:20 PM +1 This would be awesome!
Jason added a comment - 09/Mar/11 12:12 AM
Show
Jason added a comment - 09/Mar/11 12:12 AM Would also love to see this addition. Holding out on the purchase of a Boxee Box to see if this feature makes it or not.
Mike L. added a comment - 09/Mar/11 1:42 PM
This would be awesome!
Show
Mike L. added a comment - 09/Mar/11 1:42 PM This would be awesome!
joe morrissey added a comment - 10/Mar/11 9:15 AM
Show
joe morrissey added a comment - 10/Mar/11 9:15 AM There is a python script available for this, that Boxxe app dev could use to incorporate into the official ( esp boxee box) firmware.. c'mon boxee http://pwiddershoven.nl/blog/2011/01/05/airplayer.html
Peter added a comment - 10/Mar/11 9:37 AM
Show
Peter added a comment - 10/Mar/11 9:37 AM Is any one from Boxee going to Comment on this Feature??? Its very annoying that the Boxee team is not more forthcoming with if they are working on requests or not. We want more information from the Boxee team, stop leaving us in the dark!
joe morrissey added a comment - 10/Mar/11 10:05 AM
I second Peter's comment above
Show
joe morrissey added a comment - 10/Mar/11 10:05 AM I second Peter's comment above
Ben Perlman added a comment - 14/Mar/11 1:13 PM
Should absolutely be top priority. Would love comment from Boxee on this.
Show
Ben Perlman added a comment - 14/Mar/11 1:13 PM Should absolutely be top priority. Would love comment from Boxee on this.
Jeremy Milum added a comment - 14/Mar/11 7:10 PM
Show
Jeremy Milum added a comment - 14/Mar/11 7:10 PM Airplay would require a license from Apple, I'm not sure what the cost for that license would be, but the Boxee Box is a direct competitor to the Apple TV.
Charles ONeill added a comment - 15/Mar/11 12:16 AM
I would kill for this feature and not just with the boxee app please.
Show
Charles ONeill added a comment - 15/Mar/11 12:16 AM I would kill for this feature and not just with the boxee app please.
Pete Beaumont added a comment - 23/Mar/11 6:58 PM
Show
Pete Beaumont added a comment - 23/Mar/11 6:58 PM Apple Is Said to Weigh Expanding AirPlay For Streaming Video on Devices http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-23/apple-is-said-to-weigh-expanding-airplay-for-streaming-video-on-devices.html
joewest added a comment - 25/Mar/11 4:13 AM
joewest added a comment - 25/Mar/11 4:13 AM +1
egon0119 added a comment - 29/Mar/11 3:25 PM
This would be a great addition to the BB. +1
Show
egon0119 added a comment - 29/Mar/11 3:25 PM This would be a great addition to the BB. +1
Geir Borch added a comment - 31/Mar/11 3:40 AM
Show
Geir Borch added a comment - 31/Mar/11 3:40 AM I would love to get this feature. It would give such a larger value to an already great system.
Brett Biba added a comment - 08/Apr/11 12:54 AM
Show
Brett Biba added a comment - 08/Apr/11 12:54 AM Is this request for the Boxee App too or just Boxee Box? I'd love to see it in the Boxee app as well.
Justin Lewis added a comment - 09/Apr/11 11:56 AM
Please implement!
Show
Justin Lewis added a comment - 09/Apr/11 11:56 AM Please implement!
Julian Scarfe added a comment - 12/Apr/11 3:16 PM
Show
Julian Scarfe added a comment - 12/Apr/11 3:16 PM note this new, reverse-engineered library: http://mafipulation.org/blagoblig/2011/04/08#shairport
Rebecca added a comment - 20/Apr/11 6:32 AM

Update: 13/4

NB: albertz's github repo: https://github.com/albertz/shairport
Show
Rebecca added a comment - 20/Apr/11 6:32 AM This would be an awesome addition to Boxee! Jeremy Milum is right that it would require a license fee (I hope Boxee goes this route instead of the reverse-engineered library available on github). My guess is that Apple won't care that Boxee Box is a direct competitor with Apple TV. With licensing, they have the potential to make greater inroads into a person's family/living room than with Apple TV. If Apple TV were selling as well as iPhones and iPads, that might be a different story. Licensing could bring in a lot more money than Apple TV ever would, especially if they do go forward with licensing video streaming like they have with audio streaming. In case Boxee does go the reverse-engineered library route, from http://www.mafipulation.org/: Update: 13/4 So, this does everything I want, and I don't intend to issue any further releases here. Official development continues on github in albertz's github repo. Mac support, bug fixes and more! NB: albertz's github repo: https://github.com/albertz/shairport
lior added a comment - 20/Apr/11 9:25 AM
Show
lior added a comment - 20/Apr/11 9:25 AM That's ridiculous, there ain't need to pay fee or reverse engineer anything. there is already working implementation of Airplay Support here: https://github.com/PascalW/Airplayer It works for me great on my linux XBMC machine and it should work as well on the Boxee box because it based on it (XBMC+Linux)
Julian Scarfe added a comment - 20/Apr/11 10:52 AM
Show
Julian Scarfe added a comment - 20/Apr/11 10:52 AM one more thought on shairport reverse-engineered solution: Would Boxee be willing to add required dependencies to the build, allowing a 3rd party to more easily make an app (and accept the legal risk) w/ shairport functionality?
Terry Gregg added a comment - 22/Apr/11 8:32 PM
Show
Terry Gregg added a comment - 22/Apr/11 8:32 PM Great idea. Would integrate Boxee with a major part of entertainment streaming in the house.

People