Sometimes when the Boxee Box is turned on there is no HDMI signal or after the boot animation the screen remain black.

Details

• Severity:
    Critical
  • Version:
    1.1.0.19053
  • Operating System:
    Boxee Box
  • Number of attachments:

Description

Boxee was working and then somehow crashes or a hang the user reboots the box.

1. No HDMI signal when powering up the Box (No Dlink logo and no start video) usually end up with a black screen or sometimes a red screen (this is when there is no HDCP) -
2. Dlink logo and then the start animation video and then a black screen.

temporary workarounds which might workaround this issue and restores the signal:
* power off and try again to power the box on after few minutes or even one day.
* connecting an ethernet cable
* restore to factory defaults.

if you experience this issue, please post here your Screen and Receiver model.

=========================
original user report:
When the Boxee Box is turned on, the loading screen is displayed, followed by the second half of the animation (when all boxees are in the air and about to form the giant Boxee) then sometimes the screen will just remain black and other times load the home screen after the green Boxee logo.

When the screen goes black I can still hear the navigation sounds when using the remote 'blind'

This seems to be a display issue.

As mentioned turning the Boxee Box off and on again solves the issue. This issue didn't occur on the original TV I connected the Boxee Box to, and the entire boot animation displayed, not just the second part of it.

The TV being used where this issue is present is a Sony KDL32EX401.

workaround: Have to turn Boxee Box off and on again could workaround this.

Issue Links

Activity

Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 04/Jan/11 9:51 AM
this is a screen resolution handshake issue.

Please attach a Debug log to this issue.
Settings > System > Debug > Debug Level = Debug
more information at
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 04/Jan/11 9:51 AM this is a screen resolution handshake issue. Please attach a Debug log to this issue. Settings > System > Debug > Debug Level = Debug ReStart Boxee, and after reproducing the problem, close Boxee and attach your log file to this issue. DEBUG log slows down the performance. so afterward, switch the log level back to NONE Boxee Box log may be found at http://boxeebox:8080/ click on the "Get latest " link. more information at http://support.boxee.tv/entries/329278-i-ve-been-asked-by-boxee-support-to-send-debug-logs-how-do-i-do-that
innovativevsregressive added a comment - 04/Jan/11 1:51 PM - edited
I went to System>Settings>Advanced and changed the DEGBUG option to DEBUG.

Show
innovativevsregressive added a comment - 04/Jan/11 1:51 PM - edited I went to System>Settings>Advanced and changed the DEGBUG option to DEBUG. I then Shutdown the Boxee Box and started it up numerous times until I got the black screen so I navigated to shutdown 'blind' with the remote. I loaded the Boxee Box again, the home screen this time appearing and then set the a Debug Level back to NONE and restarted the Boxee Box. I have attached the 2 most recent Boxee logs as I'm not sure which one was relates to when the black screen appeared. UPDATE: I've realised the two files don't contain a log file in the folder. Navigated to the URL and downloaded the most recent file which does contain a log file. I have now attached that file only, removing the previous two attachments.
PJ added a comment - 16/Jan/11 3:39 PM
Yeah, I and others reported HDMI problems weeks before this jira in 7332
Show
PJ added a comment - 16/Jan/11 3:39 PM Yeah, I and others reported HDMI problems weeks before this jira in 7332
Tristian Allicock added a comment - 24/Jan/11 2:05 PM
I'm experiencing this problem with a Mitsubishi WD 60738. DLP TV
Show
Tristian Allicock added a comment - 24/Jan/11 2:05 PM I'm experiencing this problem with a Mitsubishi WD 60738. DLP TV
innovativevsregressive added a comment - 03/Feb/11 2:12 PM - edited
Thank you very much for fixing the issue.
Show
innovativevsregressive added a comment - 03/Feb/11 2:12 PM - edited Thank you very much for fixing the issue. UPDATE: At time of this comment, the issue was marked as fixed. Has since been reopened.
innovativevsregressive added a comment - 14/Feb/11 4:56 PM - edited

Show
innovativevsregressive added a comment - 14/Feb/11 4:56 PM - edited I've updated the Boxee Box with the latest firmware release and after it installed and restarted and the second half of the boot animation loaded I got a black screen. I navigated to shutdown 'blind', started up the Boxee Box and the same issue. I navigated to shutdown 'blind' again, loaded and the home screen loaded this time. The black screen issue didn't happen for a very long time prior to this. It seems to be rare. EDIT: SORRY! I didn't read the fix was scheduled for SP5 sprint 4. I believe todays update was SP4.
Michael Dutcheshen added a comment - 24/Feb/11 4:13 PM
Show
Michael Dutcheshen added a comment - 24/Feb/11 4:13 PM Im getting a red screen problem. Factory restore worked but this is the second time im locked out with a red screen. Using an Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver.
innovativevsregressive added a comment - 05/Mar/11 10:16 AM
Show
innovativevsregressive added a comment - 05/Mar/11 10:16 AM I've recently discovered that if the black screen appears, selecting the source HDMI input via the TV again shows the home screen.
humrahi added a comment - 19/Mar/11 3:19 PM

Show
humrahi added a comment - 19/Mar/11 3:19 PM I have a Black Screen of Death (BSoD).When started it gets through the loading and splash screen without issue, and then the box hangs on a black screen with no audio. TV is Sony KDL-EX710. Not using any receiver - direct HDMI cable connection. Could a HDMI cable fault cause this? I mean show the splash screen & animation but black afterwards? Doesn't sound too logical ... but still asking ...
humrahi added a comment - 23/Mar/11 10:11 AM
* Boxee boots up
* 480p grayscale screen with boxee icon is shown
* 1080p color screen with complete animation including sound is shown
* Screen becomes pitch black. No sound can be heard.
* Have to do a hard shutdown at the point.

Show
humrahi added a comment - 23/Mar/11 10:11 AM Summarizing the issue that I have. The following sequence is repeatable after Boxee powers on: * Boxee boots up * 480p grayscale screen with boxee icon is shown * 1080p color screen with complete animation including sound is shown * The green boxee indicator *blinks* (also I think the screen becomes lighter black before becoming pitch black) * Screen becomes pitch black. No sound can be heard. * Have to do a hard shutdown at the point. There is similarity with this issue - http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/appletv-boxee-blank/index.shtml So, something has been corrupted on the file system. The fix should completely delete the corresponding data folder.
David Levin added a comment - 23/Mar/11 1:26 PM

1. Reset
2. Restore
3. Upgrade from USB

The Rep said the box was faulty, but it sounds like a software issue to me.
Show
David Levin added a comment - 23/Mar/11 1:26 PM I called tech support yesterday and the representative had me go through all of the options in the recovery console. We tried: 1. Reset 2. Restore 3. Upgrade from USB None of the options worked. It's too bad that after option 2 (restore) it forces you to manually update the boxee software from the internet. The Rep said the box was faulty, but it sounds like a software issue to me.
humrahi added a comment - 25/Mar/11 2:55 AM
Is the following fixed?

>From Marcel on Tuesday, March 22, 2011
>Hi
>If you can wait a few weeks we may have a fix ?
>Regards
>Marcel

Or has it been marked fixed by mistake?
Show
humrahi added a comment - 25/Mar/11 2:55 AM Is the following fixed? >From Marcel on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 > >Hi >This has not been fixed it was a mistake .. the issue is there is a corruption in the Box not allowing Boxee to load (you see the video animation and >then it goes black) >If you can wait a few weeks we may have a fix ? >Regards >Marcel Or has it been marked fixed by mistake?
David Levin added a comment - 25/Mar/11 1:04 PM - edited

Show
David Levin added a comment - 25/Mar/11 1:04 PM - edited I don't think this issue is related to specific monitors and/or receivers because the BB was working fine for a few months before I got the "black screen of death". Anyway, since the description asks for specific TV/Receiver models the issue occurred on both my Panasonic P58 V10 and Denon 4310 receiver. Also, the stated workaround on this page (rebooting the BB) does not resolve the issue.
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 10/Apr/11 9:20 AM
This appears to be fixed in version 1.1.0.18306
If this same issue happens again, please open a new issue.
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 10/Apr/11 9:20 AM This appears to be fixed in version 1.1.0.18306 If this same issue happens again, please open a new issue.
humrahi added a comment - 19/Apr/11 2:11 AM

Show
humrahi added a comment - 19/Apr/11 2:11 AM The main cause of the issue has not been fixed! The issue reoccurred with 1.1.0.18306!! I installed the 1.1.0.18306 eap version ~2weeks back. It did solve the `black screen` problem that I was facing at that time and enabled me to start using the box again. But yesterday the screen went black again - the same issue had reoccurred. Nothing out of ordinary had occurred during the course of 2 weeks when I was using the box. The good news is that reinstalling the 1.1.0.18306 firmware fixed the problem again. The bad news is that something is still corrupting the box & eventually the issue reoccurs. So please reopen the issue.
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 21/Apr/11 8:32 AM - edited
reopen using 1.1.0.18306 according to user humrahi
Show
Rafael Mizrahi [Boxee] added a comment - 21/Apr/11 8:32 AM - edited reopen using 1.1.0.18306 according to user humrahi
Boyd Barker added a comment - 26/Apr/11 5:36 PM
Show
Boyd Barker added a comment - 26/Apr/11 5:36 PM I get a similar issue when connecting my boxee box through my Samsung receiver hdmi switch. If I connect the hdmi cable to the TV directly, it boots and displays fine. I can then switch the cable to the receiver and it passes through video fine and decodes the audio without issue. If I boot boxee with hdmi connected to the receiver, then I get the boxee splash screen and then a blank screen, with no audio. This is with the most recent update to boxee.
David Wolder added a comment - 26/Apr/11 10:03 PM

5. Above issue persists. I unplug for two days. Retry, and still it persists.
11. Attach it back to Sharp TV. Magenta Screen.... Frustration growing more.
15. Setup user.. go to system and update to new firmware - 1.0.4.17443.

Finally, plug back into other TV's... and magenta screen.

How do I get this newer firmware?
Show
David Wolder added a comment - 26/Apr/11 10:03 PM I will add to this thread, as it just started happening as described above. Will document the first signs of issues and related circumstances. 1. Boxee Box worked ok for months, but starting approximately 1 month ago, I noticed the wireless would go offline for no apparent reason - frequently, and then infrequently. 2. Additional preconditions were "occasionally" live TV would force the entire picture into a unclear rectangle about 1/10th the size of the tv screen. Only fix was to reboot Boxee Box. 3. Everything stable, until [potential coincidence] one night we lose network completely for hours - although internal network operational. Boxee was left on. We decided to watch local content, but boxee box was displaying rectangle image as described in 2 above. Forced to reboot. 4. Boxee boots up. The loading image is magenta instead of grey. As soon as loading screen completes - boxee box screen goes blank, TV displays 'no signal' TV: LG 37" 720p LCD 5. Above issue persists. I unplug for two days. Retry, and still it persists. 6. I move Boxee Box to another TV, with different HDMI cable. Issue persists (Sharp 42" 1080p LCD TV).. although now screen flashes between black, and red. 7. I move Boxee Box to yet another TV. I plug in HDMI, Optical Sound Cable, and Ethernet Cable. Boxee Box boots perfectly, and is showing 'wired' network. (Samsung 55" 1080p LCD) 8. I modify the settings, and put Boxee Box back on Wireless. Reboot.. Boxee Box boots perfectly. 9. I figure it's fixed so I shut down boxee box, and bring back to my LG 37" 720p LCD. Boot Boxee, and it is magenta loading screen, and back to black. 10. Move it back to Samsung TV. Turn it on, it works perfectly. I reduce the resolution to 480p (doesn't that usually fix everything video related?!? ;-)) 11. Attach it back to Sharp TV. Magenta Screen.... Frustration growing more. 12. Bring back to Samsung TV. Works perfectly.. reboot into recovery mode.. Factory Restore. 13. Reboots... screen visible on Samsung TV - but opening animation keeps flipping to snow, and back to animation. Then, new user screen appears. Shutdown again and bring to Sharp TV 14. Startup - Guess what... magenta loading screen and then black. Back to Samsung. Maybe forced upgrade will fix? 15. Setup user.. go to system and update to new firmware - 1.0.4.17443. Finally, plug back into other TV's... and magenta screen. How do I get this newer firmware?
Alexander Holy added a comment - 18/May/11 3:14 PM
Show
Alexander Holy added a comment - 18/May/11 3:14 PM Same thing. Box OK for months (still on FW < 1.1). Playing featured video of the day locks up while playing the video. Cannot shut down via Remote. Pressing and Holding Button shuts down. Box comes up and walks me trough settings (why?). After rebooting on the "Network screen", box for no reason no longer produces HDMI Output. No boot screen. Green Box Logo lights on the device lights up as usual. Powering on/off does not produce boot screen. Conneting to TV istead of receiver does not help. Firmware-procedure (press 5-8 secs) does not produce boot screen. I'm sure this is software/data corruption, but without a way to fix this I will have return the Box.
schandr2 added a comment - 18/May/11 4:45 PM
Show
schandr2 added a comment - 18/May/11 4:45 PM my personal thought, did u try holding down the button for 8-12 seconds?? it should produce the boot screen. If not try a little longer, Then you might see the red blinking light, if that is the case, power it down, wait for like 30 seconds and do the Firmware-procedure(8-12 seconds), hopefully you will see the bootup screen. Do you hear sound when BB is coming up and cannot see the picture or you don't hear the sound nor see the picture??
caleb reft added a comment - 06/Jun/11 9:00 PM
Please note that the 'black screen' is actually no video signal.

Issue was intermittent prior to the failure.
Show
caleb reft added a comment - 06/Jun/11 9:00 PM I am experiencing scenario #2 "link logo and then the start animation video and then a black screen. " Please note that the 'black screen' is actually no video signal. My tv is a toshiba model TV32RV525R. I have f/w 1.1.1.19092. Video out is 1080P. I have a wired lan connection. I have no receiver (boxee box is connected directly to the tv). After multiple attempts at reboots and resets, it finally started working again (after holding down on power for ~5sec and resetting user data).  Issue was intermittent prior to the failure. I'm not sure I would consider this a 'workaround' as it blows away all of the scraped library data (in my case nearly 1K movies and hundreds of TV shows).
Dirk Watkins added a comment - 22/Jul/11 9:13 AM - edited

I get the gray loading screen, then a black screen (no signal).

This is really frustrating!!!!!

[edit]

[edit 2]

[edit 3]
Show
Dirk Watkins added a comment - 22/Jul/11 9:13 AM - edited I just started to experience this same issue after many months of fully functional use. I have a Samsung 42". Wireless connection. HDMI. Highest Boxee version I could get. I get the gray loading screen, then a black screen (no signal). I got it to display again by doing a factory restore. The restore forces an update and so I waited 15 minutes, saw it get to about 95% download and then the screen started to flicker with a couple horizontal lines, flashing to black and back to the picture, and then black forever. I then waited another 20 minutes thinking it maybe is finishing the update. Clicked the remote thinking I'm clicking ok on the update. Wait a bit - nothing on screen. Then I restarted with the hardware button. Rebooted, got gray loading screen and then black. AGAIN! ARG! This is really frustrating!!!!! [edit] I left the boxee box on for a while (on the TV's HDMI input) and the screen started to flash red, black, red, black, etc.. WTF. [edit 2] I could hear some choppy audio from the RCA port into my stereo receiver during the blacked-out splash screen. Hmm... [edit 3] After speaking with Boxee Support who sent me to D-Link Support, I was told to return my Boxee to D-Link for a replacement. I guess it's a hardware issue.

People