Online Ad Supported content is being shown rather than local content when both are available

Details

• Operating System:
    Boxee Box
  • Number of attachments:
  • Description:
    Hide

Show
    TV Shows that are available as online ad supported content are being used instead of local content. Two examples that I have found in my own library are the first season of "Fringe" and the last half (Episodes 6-13) of "Sons of Anarchy". When Choosing one of the above mentioned episodes, instead of providing a link to play the local file, or even two links for both the local and the online sources, only the online source is given. The only way to play one of these local shows is via the File interface which is less than ideal.
  1. boxee.1296528986.26923.tar.bz2
    (44 kB)
    Jeremy Milum
    31/Jan/11 10:32 PM
  2. boxee.1296530491.2479.tar.bz2
    (92 kB)
    Jeremy Milum
    31/Jan/11 10:32 PM

Activity

Hide
Patrick Dell'Era added a comment - 27/Jan/11 1:09 PM

Show
Patrick Dell'Era added a comment - 27/Jan/11 1:09 PM This is a major irritation. Local files are actually cloaked by online offerings. Totally unacceptable. There needs to be a way to turn off filling in missing show episodes from online as well. If we're watching season 6 from local files, we have no need to scroll through 5 seasons of online offerings to get to season 6. And surely nobody would want to have their local season 6 files ignored and only the online season 6 offerings listed.
Hide
Jeremy Milum added a comment - 28/Jan/11 12:11 AM

Show
Jeremy Milum added a comment - 28/Jan/11 12:11 AM This appears fixed in 1.0.3.17127, at least for the two series that I saw the bug on. When viewing one of the affected episodes, it initially only shows the ad supported play link, but then after the thumbnail resolves the local content link shows as well. Patrick, you probably need to submit a new issue for the "filling in missing show episodes from online sources" thing. I think that would be a welcome addition, but it will likely get no traction merely from a comment here.
Hide
erez added a comment - 30/Jan/11 2:12 PM - edited
Jeremy,
Show
erez added a comment - 30/Jan/11 2:12 PM - edited Jeremy, 1) Can you provide the name of the files from Fringe and Sons of Anarchy that fail to be resolved. 2) Is it possible that in the initial bug, on version 1.0.3.17064, you didn't see the local links because the item was in the middle of being resolve ? (the thumbnails was loading)
Hide
Jeremy Milum added a comment - 31/Jan/11 11:14 AM
erez,

Show
Jeremy Milum added a comment - 31/Jan/11 11:14 AM erez, 1. Do you want the actual file names or the Episode Numbers? I listed the episode numbers for SoA above, and for Fringe it was most of the episodes of the first season. If you want the actual file names as I have them locally, I can get that information when I get home from work tonight. 2. I guess that's possible, but I don't think so. Many other people have reported this problem, Although I have noticed that thumbnails are resolving a lot better now so perhaps there was an underlying problem that was fixed that also fixed this? But I think I left the window open for just as long before as I did now, but perhaps they just never resolved before.
Hide
CP added a comment - 31/Jan/11 11:18 AM
Show
CP added a comment - 31/Jan/11 11:18 AM I have seen this happen several times as well, it is specifically linked to issue BOXEE-7645, as this behavior only happens when the other is happening.
Hide
Jeremy Milum added a comment - 31/Jan/11 10:32 PM
Show
Jeremy Milum added a comment - 31/Jan/11 10:32 PM CP is right about this. I had another occurrence of the issue posted in BOXEE-7645 where all the app thumbails were spinners and most videos too, and the ad supported links were again the only ones being shown for Fringe.S01E20 and Sons.of.Anarchy.S03E10. I took a log file (boxee.1296528986.26923.tar.bz2) while the issue was occurring. I then rebooted the box and both issues were gone. I took another log file (boxee.1296530491.2479.tar.bz2) so perhaps by comparing the two, you guys can see what the difference is and determine what is going on.

People