Design flaw in D-Link Boxee Box remotes causes it to stop functioning

• Operating System:
    Boxee Box
  • Number of attachments:
  • Description:
    Hide

Show
    I have seen a lot of reports of boxee remotes that have just stopped functioning randomly - there have been many issues discussed, but no definitive cause. I have experienced this myself for several months, and have finally worked out what the issue is. I posted this information on http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=24042&page=3 and someone else replied with the same issue so this could be quite a common flaw! There appears to be a design flaw with the d-link boxee remote. However, it's not noticeable - basically, the battery is losing contact inside the remote, but you can't physically see anything. The way to check if this is your issue and to fix, is to just push on the battery cover at the bottom of the remote - that's all! It won't appear to move at all, but you're just pushing the battery a fraction of an inch further in which appears to restore contact.

Issue Links

Activity

rafael made changes - 23/Feb/11 7:19 AM
Field Original Value New Value
Assignee Tom Sella [ tsella ]
rafael made changes - 23/Feb/11 7:19 AM
Fix Version/s Fiona Unscheduled [ 11340 ]
rafael made changes - 23/Feb/11 7:21 AM
Link This issue is related to BOXEE-7761 [ BOXEE-7761 ]
Hide
Eddy J Gonzalez added a comment - 27/Feb/11 9:59 PM
I am experiencing the exact same problem. Only fix is to re-seat the battery.
Show
Eddy J Gonzalez added a comment - 27/Feb/11 9:59 PM I am experiencing the exact same problem. Only fix is to re-seat the battery.
Hide
Will added a comment - 30/Mar/11 8:51 PM - edited
Mine is going crazy. See the above forum thread.

Re-seating the battery has made ZERO difference. :(

That's what I am having. :( Debug logged attached.

Show
Will added a comment - 30/Mar/11 8:51 PM - edited Mine is going crazy. See the above forum thread. Re-seating the battery has made ZERO difference. :( "erratic behavior - one click created multiple steps, button reacted not according to description etc.)this is usually caused by not pairing the remote or having an unpaired remote in proximity - make sure that you pair the remote by holding the remote very near (les than an inch) from the box and pressing the OK (central button) for 10 sec or more, if after this you still detect erratic behavior please try to pair again or check if there are other devices with unpaired remotes nearby (since it is an RF remote the neighbors are not such a distinct possibility)" That's what I am having. :( Debug logged attached. It makes it look like I hit the button more than once, I of course did not. Notice how fast it registers the key press. Crazy! Simple fix in software would be not to register them so darn quickly. The user cant hit the button that darn quick.
Will made changes - 30/Mar/11 9:03 PM
Attachment boxee.1301533244.2269.tar.bz2 [ 13728 ]
Hide
Will added a comment - 04/Apr/11 3:16 PM - edited

BB and Dlink teams needs to choose a better battery for the BB remote.
Show
Will added a comment - 04/Apr/11 3:16 PM - edited OK I replaced it with a Energizer CR2032 battery fro http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-2032-Battery-CR2032-Lithium/dp/B0042A9UXC and no more problems. BB comes with a Newsun Coin Cell Lithium 3V CR2032 battery. Which appears to be very cheap and is crap. Lots of bad reviews on this 1. BB and Dlink teams needs to choose a better battery for the BB remote.
Hide
Scott F added a comment - 05/Apr/11 10:22 AM
Same issue here.
Show
Scott F added a comment - 05/Apr/11 10:22 AM Same issue here.
Hide
Chris Williams added a comment - 07/Apr/11 6:34 AM
Show
Chris Williams added a comment - 07/Apr/11 6:34 AM Mine does this occasionally too. I thought my roommate was crazy when he told me to play with the battery when the Box didn't seem to be responding.
yuvalt made changes - 12/Apr/11 8:22 AM
Fix Version/s Triage [ 11340 ]
Fix Version/s Operations [ 11366 ]
Hide
Andrew Emerson added a comment - 13/Apr/11 10:37 PM - edited
Show
Andrew Emerson added a comment - 13/Apr/11 10:37 PM - edited I have done everything to try and fix my remote. change battery, factory reset, pairing. Nothing worked. Now I'm going to have to send the entire box in for an RMA. Not fun, and I have to pay for shipping to get it replaced. This should work for much longer before failing. What gives? I know its probably not the softwares fault. But boxee needs to work closely with dlink to figure this one out

People