Knowledge Base/Boxee PC Software/Setting Up Boxee

First time use

Boxee Help
posted this on Jun-01 2010 12:50 pm

Welcome to Boxee. Congratulations, you are about to use your TV in a brand new way!

Once you download and install Boxee there are a few things that are specific for first time use.

The first time you start / run Boxee you will be presented with the login screen.

Registered User

Not Registered Yet?

• If you have already registered at the Boxee Website, you will be asked to enter your username and password.

• If you have not yet registered at the Boxee Website, check New User and then enter your email address, a username, and password.

• Choose 'Remember Password' to automatically log in to Boxee each time you start Boxee. (this can be changed at any time in Change User)
  • Select Login
  • Select Done

You will then be asked if you would like to do a screen calibration.

• If you feel your screen is OK (looks like the ones above), Select Skip.

• If you feel your screen is not OK (does not look like the ones above), Select OK.
  • And follow these directions.

While you are here you might want to check out a few other topics of interest.

• Select Login

Comments latest first

eric labranche
boxee

for ubuntu users getting the error that it can't connect to the internet, please do the following (it works!)

Install tiny proxy. sudo apt-get install tinyproxy

Ubuntu will set it up all nice and shiny and by default it is listening to port 8888. For a different o/s check the configuration file. At this point I told my browser to use the proxy localhost port 8888 just so I knew it was working, but that is optional.

Now tell Boxee to use the proxy localhost port 8888 and wala, it works!!!

Hope this helps others.

Sep-21 2010 09:19 pm.
Chico Freitas
boxee

It keeps saying I am not connected to the internet. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04... Everything is ok, including the internet connection. Some help?

Sep-19 2010 07:34 pm.
Graham M Whittenberg
boxee

I had to save the download to my desktop.  From there on the installation instructions worked fine.  Thanks.

Aug-26 2010 03:44 pm.
Yves Yoseph
boxee

I have some problems connecting to my profile, and the log file shows this :

FALSE (login)

23:45:03 T:3078944640 M:2700754944 WARNING: CBoxeeLoginManager::canTryAutoLogin - There is a problem with the LastUsedProfile [lastUsedProfileIndex=0][lastUsedProfileLockCode=][numOfProfilesInVec=2]. Exit function and return FALSE (login)

The thing is that there was no problem login in before upgrading to the last .deb file of Boxee on my up to date ubuntu  box. So what happened in between? What is the solution to be able to finally use my profile and boxee?

Aug-08 2010 11:52 am.
j train
boxee

I originally opened a boxee account on my office pc a few days ago and was impressed so i decided to download boxee to my new PC I build just for my TV.  I downloaded it as a new account with different email adress and log in info from my office PC even though Im on the same network. the problem is all I get is the home page that has ( Friends activities, feeds ,services, download)  this page has no acess to the actural boxee site to view stuff. confused on how to log on, my office pc just log in and on the site viewing content. Any help?

Jul-22 2010 08:57 am.
James Irwin
boxee

Just downloaded Boxee for the first time and I am using Windows Vista 32-bit (Dell Inspiron 1GB Dedicated Video RAM [Nvidia GeForce 9800GT], 3GB System Ram, 320GB hard drive). Downloaded fast, installed in about 4 minutes. Start up took approx 1 minute the first time but was less than 20 seconds on further startups. During log-in I experienced no issues. Keyboard and mouse worked natively right out of installation and my login credentials were accepted the first time they were typed.

Few things to note for new users:

- Pressing ESC (or right mouse button) on your keyboard will bring up a menu to allow to you log-out (and exit), choose a section of Boxee (TV Shows, Movies, etc) or navigate to the Home Screen. (Assuming your keyboard and mouse worked right out of installation)

- First start up will typically take a little longer with any software as it does a first time load process. Same is true with Boxee. On first start up I noticed it connected to my account with their website and also began doing some folder scans to find media on my PC. Consecutive start ups did not experience this and thus were much faster.

-If you don't have cable internet or high speed internet, do not use Boxee to watch media streamed from the internet, you will experience choppy video and long video loading (this is not a Boxee problem, but a problem with your cheapness and not having high speed internet)

One thing I would really like to see get changed is for the videos (TV Shows or Movies) streamed from the internet to be played in Boxee, opposed to Boxee loading the video website inside Boxee. While watching this way you stay inside the Boxee software (I assume Boxee uses its own type of web browser to load the video hosts page holding the video) but the video settings of the host's website override that of Boxee making it difficult to change to or from Fullscreen. It would be nice if Boxee just linked onto the video and played the video in its own player.

All in all, this software is awesome. The convenience of not having to go to 100 different websites to watch your shows is awesome. It takes you to them instead of you going to it.

Jul-20 2010 09:09 pm.
anthony bruno
boxee

My first time on Boxee...and am a little confused about it. First, once opened and doing some viewing, i couldn't find an exist to close. No "X" to click on and etc., so i had to open task feature and end it that way. It seems that this application is akin to a storage ..i guess that what "Boxee" means, cause i saw all the files, videos that i may have on my pc. What I want to know is how does one get to view tv shows, movies and the ilk? I pay netflix and yet i read somewhere in this board that one can get to view movies thru them...how does that work? Does netflix allow this, or is there a separate charge? So  many questions that are not found in the FAQ.

Jun-30 2010 07:26 pm.
Topic is closed for comments