Knowledge Base/Boxee Media Manager/Boxee Media Manager

How do I add media sources?

Boxee Docs
posted this on Aug-08 11:37 am

The Boxee Media Manager defaults to sharing your “Movies” folder when first opened however adding and removing folders is easy to do.

Add a new folder source:

Select the   icon from the home page.

Place a check mark next to the folder(s) that you want to add and select “Done”.

Remove an existing folder source:

Highlight the folder you want to remove, then select the   icon.

Comments latest first

Mario Biron
boxee

Had the issue where I could not add two folders having the same name (E:\Data\TV, N:\TV and P:\TV) on Windows XP.  I solved it by using the free SQLite Database browser available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/files/

I opened up the BMM database located on C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\boxee\BoxeeMediaManager\database\bxagent.db and under the "Browse Data" tab, selected the "sources" database.  From there, I renamed the first one to "TV 1" and manually added the 2 others using the first one as a template.

Worked like a charm!  Hope i can help other having the same issue!

Sep-07 2011 11:04 pm.
rhonda jones
boxee

i am new to all of this... I want to know how I can access local broadcast content like my local abc, cbs, nbc, and the like to my boxee setup. and if it's easier to do all this from my pc or just buy a set top from best buy or somewhere like that

Aug-12 2011 03:22 pm.
pthomp
boxee

I have 2 folders e:\videos\movies and f:\videos\movies.  I can add the first but when trying to add the second one it just hangs.  I tried to rename the first source to "Movies 1" but it doesn't seem to save.

Windows version...

I solved my original problem... modified C:\Users\%User\AppData\Local\boxee\BoxeeMediaManager\database\bxagent.db.  I changed my "Movies" to "Movies 1" and was able to add my other Movies folder.

Aug-12 2011 09:16 am.
Matthew Upp
boxee

@Ryan Korzyniowski - I also had the same problem with same name sources on different drives.

example -   M:\Media\Video  and  Z:\Video    When trying to add source after checking the box it just shows an animations like it is doing something until I click done. Thanks for your response. It let me know that there was an interface, so I tried logging in with an admin account.

Aug-12 2011 01:25 am.
Matthew Upp
boxee

This is for Windows 7 users. If any is having problems getting the Boxee Media Manager UI to show try running while logged in with an account with administrator rights. Starting the Boxee Media Manager with "Run as administrator" didn't work. I run all my accounts as standard users. I had to log in with an administrator account to get the UI and then add additional sources. After that I was able to log out of the administrator account and back in with standard account. I had to start Boxee Media Manager with "Run as administrator" option. Still no UI but all the sources showed on iPad app. Boxee Media Manager does not show in system tray with standard user rights. This may not be a problem for most but with kids and many files I don't want them to be able to delete I must use standard accounts.

Aug-12 2011 01:18 am.
Ryan Korzyniowski
boxee
@Matthew Upp - Follow the instructions at the top of this page. Maybe you need to open the media manager if its minimized to the system tray first?
Aug-12 2011 12:27 am.
Matthew Upp
boxee

@Ryan Korzyniowski - How are you accessing a UI to add sources on Windows 7? I can start Boxee Media Manager, but it only start the service and from the Ipad app I can only see "My Videos". How are you adding sources?

Aug-12 2011 12:20 am.
Ryan Korzyniowski
boxee

Save issue here with multiple folders with the same name, different drives: Can't add both D:\Movies_HD and E:\Movies_HD.  Can't rename the source either.  This is Windows 7, 32-bit.

Aug-11 2011 10:40 pm.
Jason Collelo
boxee

I'm also having the issue of not being able to add sources.  I have my videos on external HD's that are connected to my mac.  I was able to add my TV Shows and Video folders for one HD but not the others.  The weird thing is that if I go into the folders and select the folders of individual TV Shows or Movies it works.

Aug-11 2011 08:08 pm.
romchautard
boxee

found it, everything working perfectly especially the "airplay" function... thanks so much for this update this is very exciting software. well done on all the hard work!!

Aug-11 2011 02:10 pm.
Matthew Upp
boxee

How do we add media sources on Windows 7? I see "my videos" folder contents. I cannot seem to get find any UI for Boxee Media Manager, nothing pops up when Boxee Media Manager is started or in the taskbar.

Aug-10 2011 09:57 pm.
Aaron Roy
boxee

We need the ability to add an entire drive as a source, this app is useless to a lot of people without this feature.

Aug-10 2011 07:19 pm.
romchautard
boxee

having the same issue as tim and gavin.. trying to get the boxee media manager to detect my nas drive. thanks.

Aug-10 2011 02:34 pm.
Tim Wood
boxee

When will this support adding network resources on Windows?  I keep all my media on a NAS and map the share to a drive in Windows.

Aug-09 2011 09:28 pm.
gavinbee
boxee

^ having the same issue..

Aug-09 2011 03:02 pm.