Knowledge Base/Boxee Box by D-Link/Installation & Setup

How do I manually update the Boxee software?

Zach Klein
posted this on Nov-12 2010 04:27 pm

Your Boxee Box will automatically prompt you(when available) to download the latest firmware at start-up. You can also check to see if there is a newer version of the firmware(without a restart) by going to Settings > System > Check for new version of Boxee.

If you are still having trouble then you can download the firmware to a PC, copy it to a flash drive, and then install the firmware on the Boxee Box. Just following these instructions:

1. Download the latest Boxee Box firmware at http://www.boxee.tv/download/boxeebox. The downloaded file will be named boxee.iso, and that name must be maintained.
  2. Copy the boxee.iso file to a thumb drive. Make sure to properly eject the flash drive after copying the file.
  3. Power down the Boxee Box.
  4. Power up the Boxee Box by pressing and holding the power button for 6-10 seconds. Upon release, the Box will boot with the logo turned orange.
  5. After the Recovery Menu appears, connect your thumb drive to the Boxee Box, wait 2 seconds, then select Upgrade from USB from the menu, and follow on-screen instructions.

Comments latest first

xero harrison
boxee

sorry to double post, but please post the MD5 checksum for the ISO next time.
675ba280ef80ba9868f400b8611eeebe *boxee.iso

Jul-29 2011 11:10 am.
xero harrison
boxee

awesome! i'm updating as we speak! a side note. AVAST! antivirus blocked the ISO download the 1st time. i had to turn off my web shield to get it. but not worries, just throwing that out there! THANX BOXEE TEAM! im super psyched for NFO file fun!!!!

Jul-29 2011 11:08 am.
Stephen H.

Also works on a mac ok.

Jul-28 2011 11:40 am.
Rebecca Hershock
boxee

Yay!! It worked and it was super easy! Thanks!!

Jul-25 2011 10:46 pm.
Sean Coleman
boxee

Worked perfectly - now works with Lion!  Woohoo!

Jul-25 2011 06:07 am.
Laurent
boxee

Same as Lucas here. when I put the USB key in the Boxee it says nothing like "update from the USB".

How to solve this issue since I updated with IOS Lion and my boxee reads nothing anymore?

I am fed up with half-explanations and why does d-Link denied to make a proper update? There are a bunch of people having a mac now and being in trouble!!

Jul-24 2011 01:18 am.
Theo Koustas
boxee

My bad I installed old rc..... Just installed new rc double checked it and everything is cool.

Jul-23 2011 07:57 am.
Theo Koustas
boxee

Just installed new rc works ok the only problem is still can not read of my mac through network share also when I try to manually type in ip address i can not use the numbers at all, when holding down alt button  and pressing the numbers it brings up symbols instead.

Jul-23 2011 06:49 am.
Chi-Chi Owunwanne
boxee

Worked fine for me. Thanks. Since late last week, my Boxee stopped connecting to the internet and network showing very low Wifi Signal strength, but my neighbors seem to have 3 to full bars  while my two wifi was showing one bar. I tried to restore to factory setting, which worked fine but it won't update to the latest firmware. It would start downloading and get to about 90% and just quit. So I'm glad I was able to find this un-official release for a manual update. Hope this solves the few problems I've been experiencing lately. Thanks, again.

Jul-17 2011 10:42 pm.
Lucas Macedo
boxee
My Boxee Box logo is red and this menu you said never appears. What's wrong?
Jul-15 2011 10:38 pm.
Stephen Lee Sun
boxee

I am frustrated as I have followed the instructions over and over and continue returning the following errors:

0x315 and 0x320

Wake up D-Link and admit there is a problem and give a damn solution - FAST!!!

Jul-04 2011 02:07 pm.
daryl nylen
boxee

Yea, this file says: "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"....any help with this?   For the past couple days my boxee won't connect to the internet or my network.  Any suggestions??

Jun-25 2011 02:06 pm.
bateyavko
boxee

The link above,isoboxee.iso, downloads damaged archive!

Jun-24 2011 07:06 am.
m e
boxee

I am HDMI to DVI and getting blank screen after splash screen. Forced updates......NOT COOL.

iboxxe please fix. No more forced updates please. You should be able to download old firmware

as well.

Jun-23 2011 07:55 pm.
Tony Pacheco
boxee

Ok, so I'm not sure if this applies to you, but the blank-after-startup issue is an HDMI to DVI issue. They are working on a fix.

Jun-23 2011 10:50 am.
Tony Pacheco
boxee
...and yes.. I have tried restoring to factory. I am forced to update. No way around it. I tried unplugging the ethernet to see if it will check for an update later, but them there are wireless networks available. Lame.
Jun-22 2011 10:48 pm.
Tony Pacheco
boxee
We are forced to sit and wait for them to push a fix. Not cool, huh? We should be allowed to use the factory firmware when stuff like this happens. I suggested they add that feature in.. Hopefully they listen. Maybe if everyone also made that request....... :)
Jun-22 2011 10:38 pm.
Wayne Hewitt
boxee

Anyone tried going back to factory default to see if this resolves the the firmware update bricking the BB?

Jun-22 2011 10:12 pm.
Ravin Sharma
boxee

has anyone gotten feedback from boxee support on how to install an older firware, so we do not have to deal with the new firmware problems.

DOes anyone know where the file for the old firmware are stored?

Jun-21 2011 07:05 am.
Malte Nielson
boxee

I have looked almost everywhere (maybe not good enough?), but I can't figure out when this update comes to Mac. Still stuck on 0.9.23, and i'm really looking forward to this update! Can you enlighten me on this one? Thanks in advance!

May-21 2011 07:33 am.
Christoffer Nielsen
boxee

My boxee box works fine before the new update. But it will have a new update so i did. It startet to opdate but it suddenly stop. And now it stuck on loading screen and the logo on the box flashes red 3 times and green 1 and then repeats its self. And when i trying to reset it by holding the power butten down for 5 sec. It just shows the yellow logo on the box and the loading screen on the tv. Help please.

and now when i trying to start it, it stuck on the loading screen, and i canĀ“t du anything. and if i trying to reset itby holding the power butten on box down for 5 sec. it just show the yellow icon on the box, but it still stuck at the loading. this is a weird little box!!!

where can i get some help ?

May-21 2011 06:40 am.
k h
boxee

sigh.  I'm having a hard time recommending this when upgrades fails, or I lose all my settings.  I'm  fucking tired of this shit.

So, I clicked the update boxee software, it downloaded and rebooted.  It failed the upgrade and gave me operation faailed, error code 0x315.   factory reset, restore, upgrade from usb. NOTHING works. Fix your fucking product boxee. I'm stuck, and will have to waste time with support.. AGAIN

May-18 2011 11:17 pm.
Rob Dressler
boxee

NBC does not work on the 1.1 version of boxee only a grey box shows up. Please avoid upgrading until they fix this.

May-16 2011 09:53 pm.
Dirk Watkins
boxee

1.1 works great for me.  No problems in Netflix or watching Robot Chicken off of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.  Great job so far!

May-16 2011 08:14 pm.
Micu Calin

Streams are very slow.

May-16 2011 07:02 pm.
Kimberly McTear
Works great! Thanks!
May-16 2011 10:52 am.
Sam Houchins
boxee

The first time I rebooted, the logo flashed back and forth between red and green, but the screen froze on "Loading". I rebooted a second time and the logo stayed on green but I did get the Recovery Menu. The update then went fine. I'm not having any troubles. The browser upgrades are GREAT!

May-16 2011 08:27 am.
Michael Woodford
boxee
Did the manual update and now my BOXEE BOX does whatever it wants to so so so unhappy it's the 14th and still wouldn't let me get the b.s very disappointed very unhappy
May-14 2011 07:56 pm.
Aaron Bond
boxee

Working well for me...  Thanks!

May-13 2011 11:08 pm.
Adam Milliken
boxee

Install was easy, but holy crap streams are slow as heck now. Local files only. Need to convert back to the old version somehow. Off to the forums...DON'T UPGRADE!!

May-13 2011 09:49 pm.
kepler72
boxee

I stripped completely nude when doing this, It worked brilliantly, but I'm not sure if the stripping was beneficial to the actual process.

May-13 2011 03:19 pm.
Joost Hegle
boxee

Did the manual update v.1.1. Now everything is terribly slow. No streams are working proper, so I suppose I just have to play local files. This is crap! I want to go back to the previous version. Not recommending anyone to upgrade.

May-12 2011 04:26 pm.
Adrian Aguilar

Navi X work fine.

Good work Boxee box team!

May-11 2011 11:55 pm.
tony elliott
boxee

I upgraded and lost playback sound..  When I start boxee it has the usual start up sound, but then when i try to play a file there is an error "failed to initiate audio device check your"  I'm not sure what to check as the error doesn't finish, is there another way to retrieve the rest of the error code. I am out sound on the boxee so update with caution.

May-11 2011 11:39 pm.
Alberto De Armas
boxee

do NAVI X channel still work?

May-11 2011 10:13 pm.
Bryan C
boxee

Use the power button on the box itself, not the remote

May-11 2011 07:51 pm.
Travis Patton

my logo turned red

May-11 2011 06:42 pm.
SCOTT BAGGETT
boxee

A little tip: Unplug your USB hard drive before you choose to upgrade from USB. Mine wouldn't proceed until I did that.

May-11 2011 06:41 pm.
Corey Mosher
boxee

My logo turned yellow, not orange.  Worked great otherwise.

May-11 2011 06:23 pm.
Scott Maxfield
boxee

No orange logo, but worked like a charm.

May-11 2011 06:22 pm.
Chris Lomman
boxee

Same here - No orange light but all good nonetheless. Thanks guys!

May-11 2011 04:37 pm.
Brad Tripp
boxee

My Boxee logo didn't turn orange but it still worked just fine

May-11 2011 04:20 pm.