Knowledge Base / Boxee basics

What are the minimum system requirements to run Boxee?

marcel hass Dec 08, 2009

Hardware Requirements:

Boxee can probably run on anything, but the things that it will run well on:

• x86 (Intel/AMD processor) based system running at 1.0GHz or greater
  • 512MB system memory (RAM) or more

Video Card:

Graphics controller/card/adapter and device drivers capable of

• OpenGL 1.4 (+ GLSL)
  • Direct X 9.0
  • 32-bit colors or more

Software Requirements:

Boxee currently runs on the following systems:

• Mac OS X 10.4 +(Intel processor based only)
  • Ubuntu Linux 9.04+ x86 only.
  • Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. (x86_64 requires Vista or 7)

Comments

User photo
David Bates
boxee
Can it run on AppleTV?
Dec-15 2009 05:37.

User photo
not apllicable not apllicable
boxee

What about video memory? iI'm running on an old DX9 Intel integrated graphics chip with only 6mb of video memory, 2 GHz Celeron, and 512 RAM. The Boxee Alpha run SLOW with these specs. Will the beta run butter?

Dec-15 2009 06:52.

User photo
not apllicable not apllicable
boxee

What about video memory? iI'm running on an old DX9 Intel integrated graphics chip with only 64mb of video memory, 2 GHz Celeron, and 512 RAM. The Boxee Alpha run SLOW with these specs. Will the beta run butter?

****EDIT 64mb of video memory, not 6mb. sorry

Dec-15 2009 06:53.

User photo
Tony Coppola
boxee

I don't see any of these comments answered. I just got notified that I could download the beta. I've been using the alpha on AppleTV for over a year but it looks like the beta is not currently running on ATV. Any projected date? Thanks...AC

Dec-28 2009 18:03.

User photo
Tim Wiseman
boxee

Hi Tony,

I am an ATV user as well, and while I was very exited to get my Beta invite this morning, after doing some digging around, it seems that the ATV Beta hasn't been released yet.  I believe we will have to be patient. :)

Dec-28 2009 19:53.

User photo
Ken Kreitzer
boxee

Me too - waiting for ATV version ...

Dec-29 2009 13:25.

User photo
Ben Sams
boxee

Does anyone know if the ATV beta will include Netflix?

If not i am getting a Roku player.

Dec-31 2009 18:22.

User photo
brett paden
boxee

This minimum config is misleading.  While boxee itself will run fine, a lot of the video content it delivers requires beefier memory, bus speed and processor power.

For example, netflix uses Siverlight to deliver content, and anyone who has watched this content with anything less than 2.0GHz processor on intel Macs knows the pain of dropped frames, poor color correction and audio syncing issues.  Their tech support will confirm this and recommend purchasing a dedicated device (such as roku). The same applies for HD content delivered via flash (such as hulu);  hulu content delivered by boxee just plain doesn't work on older Macs.

I don't fault boxee for this necessarily, as the video rendering engines are truly at fault.  But if you want a decent viewing experience you definitely need a newer machine.

Jan-09 2010 18:38.

User photo
Jason Evans
boxee
HELP!?! My name is Jason & I downloaded Boxee to a computer I bought specifcly for watching on-line videos. It's an older computer, but here are the specs: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 1 gig of ram. When I watched videos in Boxee, they are "jerky," and my netflix doesn't work at all. (it does work, however, when I go to the website and use their media player, and I use it in Firefox.) Do I just need more RAM or is there something I can adjust to make the video flow better?
Feb-15 2010 17:50.

User photo
Allan Fleetwood
boxee

I would like to see a version that works with YellowDog Linux that is running on my PS3

Mar-03 2010 21:36.