Knowledge Base/Boxee Box by D-Link/Boxee Box Apps

The Netflix App

marcel
posted this on December 08, 2009 09:11 am

Netflix.png

Watch TV Shows Online, Watch Movies Online

• Watch Netflix on the Boxee Box
  • Instant Plans starting at $7.99 / Watch as often as you want, anytime you want
  • Choose from a growing library of movies & TV episodes
  • PLUS, for only $2 more a month, you can also get 1 DVD out at-a-time
    • No due date or late fees!
    • Exchange as often as you want
  • Cancel anytime, with no cancellation fees

Start Your 1-Month Netflix Trial Today!

Getting Started with Netflix on Boxee

To use Netflix on Boxee, you will need to do the following:

• Start the Netflix app on Boxee
  • Follow instructions on the screen
* Note that Netflix on Boxee is limited for use within the US and Canada only

Comments latest first

Greg Smith

For what it's worth, here is Boxee support's response to me about Netflix in the latest software release 1.5...

"We updated the PC software recently and unfortunately premium content like Netflix, Vudu and Pandora is no longer available on the PC version. You can read the details at the link below. Sorry for the inconvenience...http://blog.boxee.tv/2011/12/26/boxee-1-5-fall-software-update/ "

I still use the older PC version of Boxee and the Netflix app is still working.

January 29, 2012 02:19 pm
Michael Fluckiger

I asked the Boxee support group about Netflix no longer being in the list of services and the response was: The Netflix entry on the service page was removed as you no longer need it to access Netflix.  You can put all your login information directly into the app.  This is good to know as I'm not sure that this change was widely communicated.

I also asked about an issue I have where a Boxee Box login prompt keeps popping up while I am watching Netflix and apparently this is a known issue that they are working on.  This happens when the box tries to scan 'File Sources' in the background.

January 29, 2012 12:58 pm
Duncan Cardinal

I tried my Netflix app in my Boxee Box after running the update and my Netflix functionality still works. HOWEVER, just before I left work on Friday, one of my customers phoned and said that he was having problems accessing Netflix via the Boxee Box after doing the update. We live in the same city. (West coast of Canada.) Here’s what I think we can conclude so far…

1. Something in the most recent Boxee Box update triggered the Netflix issue.
2. Not all Boxee Boxes are affected by the bug.
3. The problem is not region or geographically specific in nature.
4. The bug appears to be affecting a significant number of people. (Judging by the chatter in the forums.)

That’s all I know so far. If I end up troubleshooting the issue for my customer next week, I’ll let you all know what I find. In an ideal world, the BB team will have issued a patch to resolve this issue by then. Here’s hoping…

January 29, 2012 12:26 am
Annabel Vermeil

Same problem here!

January 28, 2012 04:10 pm
Cyril McNamara

Since I updated to the latest version of boxee I have not been able to use my netflix app.  It just keep reverting back to the main screen.  I also cannot find it under my services section and I don't know how to get it there.  I try to go to the link www.boxee.tv/netflix as it says to do but the link is dead.  Can anyone help me?  I don't understand why all of a sudden I can't use Netflix anymore and I don't know how to fix this.  Netflix is the main reason I bought this thing!! Please help!

January 28, 2012 02:05 pm
Annabel Vermeil

Thank you so much for that long answer!

But like you, Netflix is missing from the list of services So i will have to find a way to get it on the list...

Thanks again :)

January 27, 2012 08:23 pm
Michael Fluckiger

I'm not sure exactly what you have been trying so give this a go:

Navigate to: http://www.boxee.tv

If you already have an account, login - otherwise, create an account

After you are logged in, click on the services tab, if you see Netflix there, associate your Netflix account with your Boxee account and then you should be good to go

One thing that is strange and perhaps someone else may know why but when I login to my Boxee account now, Netflix is missing from the list of services you can choose from.  I can still use Netflix on my Boxee Box but I don't know why it is no longer in the services list?

If you go to add this service and it is not there for you either, I suggest you 'Submit a Request' at the top of this page to see if they have made a change to the process.

Good luck,

Mike

January 27, 2012 06:29 pm
Annabel Vermeil

But that is exactly my question :) l do not know how to associate it. Do not know on what page.....l know that sound stupid, but l have really been looking for it....

January 27, 2012 05:33 pm

Annabel,

Have you logged in to your Boxee account on your computer and associated Netflix with your account?  If not, this may be what you need to do.  Once this step is complete, you should be able to start up the Boxee Box, go to Apps and launch Netflix

January 27, 2012 04:26 pm
Annabel Vermeil

Don't understand something !

l have a Netflix account, but can not open the app on the boxee box (TV) and l am in Canada. Everything tells me it should work but it is not. What do l do wrong??

Please somebody help! :)

January 27, 2012 03:45 pm
Stanley Adams

When will netflix be availible in South Africa. That the only reason why I really donload this app boxee and planning to buy the boxee box

January 19, 2012 12:41 pm
Stanley Adams

January 19, 2012 12:41 pm
Andre Henke

I bought Boxee box just to see NETFLIX as it is now working in Brazil.

Why isn't the application there?!  There are a lot of other users who can't use it as well.

Can you please help us out???

January 16, 2012 04:59 am
Peter Brown

Netflix is now available in the UK, yet I cannot find Netflix in my Boxee Apps. Will it be available soon?

January 13, 2012 04:20 pm
sir_pretzel

Ahh. Found my answer. It is indeed only available on the Boxee Box.

December 27, 2011 05:00 pm
sir_pretzel

Where is this app?

I installed Boxee for the Mac today, linked my (Canadian) Netflix account via the website, but I can't find the app in the apps list, and it's movies don't seem to appear in the movies list or channel filter.

Is this only available on the Boxee Box?

Thanks.

December 27, 2011 04:45 pm
Matthew Farr

Just an FYI. I just got my Boxee Box today and couldn't get Netflix to work. Even the Netflix button on the remote did nothing.I searched the web, searched this forum, didn't find any hints or answers concerning this issue.

Then I updated the firmware, the Netflix app appeared and the button worked!

December 22, 2011 03:40 am
L

Forget about the Boxee Box. Netflix Canada has never worked on the Boxee app. I understand that the Boxee developers want to focus their time on the Boxee Box, because that's where they make their money. But Christ, it would be nice it they at least either fixed Netflix in the Boxee app or just removed the bloody thing all together.

December 04, 2011 10:59 pm
Brian Garside

The Netflix app didn't work with my Boxee box out of the gate either, I called Netflix support, but they said it would be on the Boxee end of things.  I submitted a trouble ticket, supplied my Netflix username and my location, and by the next day my issue was resolved by Boxee.

Simplest thing I've ever done.

Rather than complaining on the forums, just go to Support and log an issue.

December 04, 2011 10:54 pm
Duncan Cardinal

@Peter - Since this is a SUPPORT forum, people like Michael and myself will read the posts and try to help people who are looking for assistance. Your right though, I don't have to read your posts. And this is a voluntary support forum, I don't have to help you out either. Best of luck in the future.

December 04, 2011 10:15 pm
Peter Tomlinson

@Duncan - I am trying it. I have been searching the 'net for weeks looking for an answer. I have tried everything I've found. It doesn't work. I know the hardware will stream Netflix in Canada. I'm just angry with a company that claims something that is not entirely true. If I want to slam it, I will. You don't have to read it.

December 04, 2011 02:17 pm
Michael Fluckiger

I have been attached to this thread for a long time for one reason only - to try and help people who are having problems and no, I don't work for D-Link.  I am in Canada, I have a Boxee Box and it works - yes, it works for everything - no issues.  There are occasionally those who post rants and are almost shouting their frustrations in their posts.  If you are Geeks or Techies as you claim, you should be able to figure it out better than the average techno idiot I think!  If you can't get Netflix running on a PC, search out people who have it working and ask them how they set it up.  I know a guy who uses Netflix on a Boxee Box PC setup with no issues.

As for the cube hardware itself, I have had one for a year and have has Netflix working since it was introduced in Canada.  No problems so I suggest readers ignore those who want to tell you it doesn't work - I use mine to watch Netflix all the time.

December 04, 2011 02:08 pm
Duncan Cardinal

So... you're going to slam a product you've never tried? I'm in Canada and netflix is working fine on my BB. I don't put a lot of cache in that fact alone, as one off examples are just that. BUT, what I can tell you is that the dozen or so installations I've been personally involved in have been almost completely successful with regards to netflix support. The single BB that couldn't support Netflix that I ran into was running on an older TV with some type of anti-piracy functionality built into the LCD. Although netflix in that BB itself worked on my own TV, we still returned it to the store. (At the end of the day, not working is not working.)

If your sincere in wanting to try a Boxee Box, do this. 1.Buy one from a store that has a 14 day return policy. (Futureshop or Best Buy should fit the bill) 2.Set it up on your TV and test out netflix. (You will need a boxee account and will need to authorize the app through the website.) 3.If it works, you're done. If it doesn't, return the BB to the store for a full refund and THEN complain to all your friends in a truly disingenuous fashion that netflix on the BB didn't work.

December 04, 2011 12:48 pm
Peter Tomlinson

The fact that the Netflix app does not work for Canadians trying the PC version to see if they want to spend the money on the hardware has made my decision for me. I will never in hell by a Boxee box. Also, I am going to tell my friends (all of whom are nerds/techies) that this thing is not what they want. They will believe me, too, when I tell them why.

December 04, 2011 12:01 pm
Michael Fluckiger

Hank, do you have a Boxee account?  If so, login in, go to services and add Netflix to your Boxee account.  If you are in the US or Canada, Netflix works perfectly.  Ranting about the box being useless does nothing to make people want to help you out.  The box works very well with many things - Netflix included.  Try adding Netflix to your services and see if you can get it running.

December 02, 2011 10:07 am
Hank Dyck

Why is it impossible to get the activation code for this boxee device anywhere on this site.  I am so pissed off with this whole thing i could through it all the way back to the manufacture!
I just want netflix to work on this crappy little box, I see when i go to my computer netflix works.  And i never used netflix before on the computer, now that i see it does why the hell did i buy boxee!

Stupid me

December 02, 2011 02:16 am
raul folgar

Netflix is available in Honduras
I cannot fin the Netflix App in my Boxee Box

November 08, 2011 09:56 pm
Humberto Higuera

I installed Netflix on my Boxee PC but id doesn't seem to take my user. Do I really have to uninstall it complety and reinstall it? Anyway, I don't know how that would help...

Perhpas the problem is that I use Chrome? Does the app only work with IE?

October 12, 2011 09:55 pm
Luiz Correia

Accessing from Brazil, the browser goes to Netflix US and if you try to access a movie it stucks on the "Contacting Netflix movie server" screen.

September 28, 2011 01:24 pm
Russell Adams

I just bought an i5 based Mac Mini with Lion 10.7.1 and downloaded / installed Boxee.  Also linked Boxee to my Netflix account.  Run Netflix and when I browse titles I see duplicate cover art.

Try and kick off a stream and all I see is flashing yellow activity bars running horizontally on the center of the screen.  Tried nuking the UserData directory, deleting the Boxee link to my Netflix account, recreating that and reconnecting - no change.

My Mac mini is brand new, virgin OS and Boxee install - no customizations whatsoever.

Netflix runs perfectly on the same box via web browser, so network connectivity is not at issue here.

I've seen a lot of posts on this - but zip in the way of a solution.  I've submitted a Support request to Boxee, however I suspect that since I supplied my own hardware, they won't be terribly interested in talking to me.

Ahhh.. the joys of user supported software.

September 21, 2011 12:32 am
javier fragss

Same is happening in Mexico!!!!

"Netflix is now available in mexico too! But I can't manage to see the app in my apps library."

Where is the damn netflix.app??

My boxee acount is linked to netflix

September 20, 2011 11:19 am
Brian Garside

Just bought a Boxee box last week, I can't access Netflix (Canada) from my Boxee Box.  I've tried the up down, and the whole unauthorize rigamarole and none of them work.

Is my box busted, or is it a problem with Netflix?

The error I get is the "we're having trouble playing this title right now. please try again later" issue.

September 19, 2011 09:54 pm

Hi Richard,

Netflix works on the Boxee Box, I watched for 3 hours tonight and have had it working since February.  There were some issues during setup and I had to login to Netflix on the Boxee Box and deactivate it and reactivate again by doing the following on the Boxee remote control (while in Netflix).

up up down down left right left right up up up up then select deactivate and then reactivate

I remember going through this with Netflix support, see the chain below where others also comment on this.  It's a great piece of hardware and Netflix will work.

Hope this helps,

Mike

September 19, 2011 12:00 am
Richard Frost

Hi,

I bought a Boxee-Box beginning of September 2011. My neighbour also bought one form the same store on the same day. Neihter of us can access NetFlix movies. I created a NetFlix account, added NetFlix to my services on my Boxee account, and checked my Internet signal strength and speed (all v good). Everything works on Boxee until I select a Netflix movies and try to download it. I get the same error message everytime "Cannot play this movie at this time...." I have removed and reloaded the NetFlis app. and have installed the lateest firmarware.  NetFlix runs perfectly on my laptop when it is sitting next to the Boxee-Box. I sent a "request" to Boxee and have followed their instructions and have just sent a log-file to them (using their instructions). I would appreciate any help with this as I only have a few days to return the Boxee to the store. I would prefer to keep it if I can get NetFlis working. Richard.

September 18, 2011 09:42 pm

Patrick,

I assume you are installing the Boxee app on a computer?  If you have a D-Link Boxee Box it 100% works, I have used it since February with no issues,

Mike

September 15, 2011 06:53 pm
Patrick Patrick
Netflix does not work in Canada
September 15, 2011 06:05 pm
Ricardo Teixeira

Same here. Accessing from Brazil, stuck on the "Contacting Netflix movie server" screen. Is this problem on the Netflix end?

September 09, 2011 08:10 pm
osito_jp

Same is happening in CHILE!!!!

"Netflix is now available in Brazil too! But I can't manage to see the app in my apps library."

September 09, 2011 01:35 pm
Santiago Egurza

Same is happening in Argentina!!!!

September 07, 2011 11:53 pm
Vinicius Marcilio

September 07, 2011 01:11 pm
Dean Husby

Canadian Netflix user here. It works great on my Boxee Box. Though it would sure be nice if it gave access to your picks list!

Dean

September 06, 2011 03:24 pm
Stephen Belanger

Another Canadian Netflix user here. Installed Boxee pretty much entirely for Netflix. Shame it doesn't work, Boxee would make a great Netflix client if it did.

August 24, 2011 01:18 am

Nishant,

I have used Netflix since February on the Boxee Box unit - it works fine.  Lots of people posting here about issues using Boxee software on a PC and this I haven't tried but the DLink Box unit works.

July 25, 2011 02:52 pm
Nishant Chandran

i installed Boxee on an older XP machine to see how it worked before i committed to  the box itself. I cant seem to get Netflix to work. Have authorized my account as per instructions but it still wont work. Reinstalled on a more modern machine thinking that maybe the issue but still does not work. Not impressed and will not be putting down any money for the Boxee box

July 24, 2011 08:28 pm
terrence jonquet

holy crap ...netflix works now that i unplugged evrything from the usb port on the boxxee box??? go figure , why would that matter???oh well its working

July 24, 2011 03:50 am
Chuck Dickson

I purchased the Boxee Box a month ago (JUne/2011) to watch Netflix and navigate web pages.. I've had constant problems since I bought the box with the "APPS" setting not working. It comes up with a page that tells me to Add favorites to my APPS but I can't see any of them..  I've tried to work this through with support.. and tried sending them "error logs" but didn't get much satisfaction that way.. I finally found that by changing the error log settings I could sometimes restore the "APPS". I have resorted to having to leave the box in "sleep mode" when I'm done using it.. because if I power it down then I have to jerk around for 15-20 minutes to get the flipping "APPS" back.  Last night.. the cursor on the browser disappeared.. I can see it occasionally while a web page is loading.. but once the page is loaded.. it's not there.. makes navigating a web page impossible..

I have to agree that reporting bugs does not seem to generate a fix, or even get it to show up in "known issues"  My software version is 1.1.2.19250 and like I said.. the box is only  a month old..  I tried searching the blogs for a "cursor disappeared" link, and only found one instance.. and no mention of how to fix it..

July 20, 2011 05:52 pm
Ethan Wolfe

I have boxee on my mac and i've noticed that all of the television episodes are out of order for netflix tv shows. Can anyone help me with this?

July 01, 2011 11:41 pm
Michael Fluckiger

This seems strange.  I am in Canada but I don't think there would be any difference.  I have been using Netflix on the BB since the first day it was introduced - works all the time for me.  I watched 2 movies tonight - no problems at all?

May 29, 2011 02:10 am
Richard Ji

Just got the boxee box and I bought it primarily for watching Netflix on it.  Guess what?  It doesn't work very well.  9 out of 10 times it hangs at the third of the loading bar and eventually error out.  Only one time it worked.  I guess I am going back to watch it on PS3 or my iPad.  Future buyers beware!

May 29, 2011 12:11 am
Keith Boddy

App works, but navigation is buggy.  Says I connect to my account, but nothing 'queued' shows up on the boxee, nor does any movie play on the boxee software.

Extremely disappointed... 2 hours in of troubleshooting.

May 19, 2011 10:55 pm
Dale Brewe

I just fired up Boxee on my win 7 machine, and could not get the netflix app working, w/ a DRM error (N8155 or something)  and cryptic, garbled message on screen. I finally tried streaming w/ firefox and low-and-behold, I got a msg that silverlight had to download DRM components. Since I did that, the boxee app has worked fine. I still like the netflix interface on my cheap best-buy blu-ray player tho. W/ Boxee the images on display in the lists are a bit too small on my 42" TV, altho it's also nice having a number of items on-screen.  Probably the most missed feature  is a  "recently watched" list. W/ our blu-ray player my kids use that feature all the time (max one hr / day!) to access their iCarly episodes.

May 10, 2011 09:57 am
Greg Smith

I  gave up on Boxee for Netflix on Windows 7 and switched to accessing NF through my PS3. The interface there is  a much better design.  I still do like Boxee for the Music Interface.

April 22, 2011 01:53 pm
Suresh Maganti

I have the same problem.  Just to make it official, I just opened a ticket as well.  I am able to browse the selections, but unable to add to my queue or watch the video.  It just sits on "connecting to Netflix server."  Even as I wait for the support folks to revert back to me, could anyone please let me know if they were able to solve this issue?  BTW, I have a Netflix Canada account.  Thanks!

April 22, 2011 01:25 am
Dave Simon

Has anyone been able to use the build your own with the ubuntu linux version and use streaming netflix?

April 08, 2011 09:34 am
Brandon Hill

I'm also experiencing the same problem as other Canadians with the Netflix app. Browses fine but can't watch anything or add to queue. Just sits on "connecting to Netflix server." Using current version (as of writing this - same as others below) on '08 MacBook. Everything else works pretty fine, though there are clearly several bugs small still being worked on.

April 04, 2011 06:36 pm
Denis Nickoleff

Does this actually work properly for Canadians?  I seem to be hooked into the American system. and can't figure out how to make it display Canadian content.

April 03, 2011 10:01 pm
Jennifer Advani

I just figured out that the reason why the Netflix app didn't work on my Boxee Box was because I had a USB external hard drive plugged in. After a manual upgrade and a manual reset, it would have been nice to see this documented somewhere.

March 26, 2011 02:44 pm
Celso Aguiar

come come, i read the forums and have seen the repeated entries bug as a known issue forever(!) why log bugs if they never get fixed? the issue is not even just bugs, the whole thing needs a full design overhaul.

March 22, 2011 09:38 pm
Michael Fluckiger

I use the d-link hardware so cannot comment on experience with the pc version but all I see is complaining - so my question is, has anyone who is having these issues logged in to their account and opened a support ticket?  This may seem obvious but I never read of anyone saying they have been in touch with the Boxee guys to get help or assistance getting things running.  It's just a lot of ranting about the UI sucking or the menus not working.  I have found their support helpful so give it a try.  It is in the interest of Boxee to make you happy and to get you up and running with no problems.

March 22, 2011 09:20 pm
Celso Aguiar

me too here also very disappointed w/ boxee's netflix app. back to using WMC on htpc. unexcusably lame UI and design, bad search, bad displaying of entries in film genres (buggy, repeated entries). even wii netflix app provides way better functionality w/ captions and all.

March 22, 2011 08:12 pm
Tyler Bell

So, a couple complaints.  First, the Netflix App UI looks and feels like they only spent about 10 minutes to build it.  Its ugly and doesn't fit with the rest of the Boxee UI.  Next, it seems to be missing lots features.  The features that exist, such as "search" seem so limited as to not be useful.  For some reason, it only finds 2-3 titles(and they are never what I am looking for), where the website can find 100's of streaming videos for the same search string.  Finally, it doesn't actually work.  I can get nothing to play from Netflix.  I can watch through safari, chrome, netflix, etc, and local videos and audio and pandora play all on the same machine.

End rant.

March 14, 2011 01:41 pm
claudia_princess

Hello! I just installed boxee today and so far, happy. I was expecting once I logged in to netflix on my mac, to have it running on my appletv. No luck.  Any advise I should follow?

Many thanks!

ClaudiaPrincess

March 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Hey Rob,

You are way beyond where I have gone with a setup for online content like you're describing.  I can't say I know a lot about all this but now you have me searching the internet for the items you talked about to learn more about other options out there.

Anyway, I hope that a boxee solution comes your way soon.

All the best,

Mike

March 01, 2011 10:42 pm
Rob Triffo

Sorry, last post was for MF not FM. Dang fingers never listen to me...

February 27, 2011 03:13 pm
Rob Triffo

FM,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have Silverlight installed. You are absolutly correct that I can run Netflix from the PC in a browser and I do when I'm sitting at my desk doing my taxes, LOL. But this doesn't help much in the family room where we watch most of our TV and movies.

I see Boxee as an entertainment portal. Some are using the Dlink hardware device, but others of us have created a HTPC instead. I imagine the Boxee appliance is nice, it's just not my style. I run a combination of things, but essentially I'm a BeyondTV user for the PVR using cable and OTA HD (5 tuners), and I use XBMC for movies, photos, music, as well as a Slimp3 for music. I have a Mac Mini running Win XP (please no flames - I need XP for BeyondTV and Apple make the nicest hardware in a small form factor so I had to bootcamp it - running for 2 years without a hiccup) driving the client side in the entertainment centre in the family room and the server side in the basement.

The whole reason I starting using Boxee was to trial the social sharing aspect of what I watch with my friends. I mean it's just XBMC with a social compenent to is and probably a better GUI - at least I like it better. I need either Boxee on the PC or XBMC to be my only view in the family room so that I can replace my BeyondTV Link client and be able to access Netflix also. Right now I have to flip apps and I don't want to.I want one app that wraps everything - this is still a pretty big ask so it seems.

I have to assume that the Netflix app works on the Boxee appliance, but I'm pretty sure by the feedback that I've seen that it doesn't quite work on a Windows PC or a Mac. I think this is where the complaints are coming from. I like the Boxee interface, but until the Netflix app works on the PC, I'll keep using XBMC. Boxee really should just qualify that it's not available for PC use yet and this would ensure followers don't complain to much - is you say something works, people expect it too... unless you've used MS software (and I do), LOL.

R.

February 27, 2011 03:09 pm

Hi Rob,

I am running Netflix on a Boxee Box and not a PC.  I'm not sure about a PC setup as I've never done that but I have to assume from the instructions that you have Silverlight installed?

That being said, and maybe this won't make sense to you but if you're on a PC, why do you need Boxee to access Netflix?  On my PC, I just log in to the Netflix site and view movies full screen directly from Netflix.  I can't figure out why the Boxee is required for this.  I must be missing something?

Mike

February 27, 2011 12:13 pm
Rob Triffo

Hey MF,

So I'm using Boxee on XP SP2 and it doesn't work correctly (see my post). So what is your configuration that works. Seems like a number would be interested in how you got it to work.

February 26, 2011 02:41 pm

Hi there,

I am on this chain of comments and have been having no issues with a Boxee Box and Netflix so I assume it's a Mac issue.  I would try and help but have never used a Mac and have no idea where to start as I have no hardware to play around with.

Question is, have any of you logged a support case with D-Link on the issue, and if so, have they responded?  If the Boxee is enabled to run Netflix on a Mac Mini, I would think they have had other inquiries and may have a fix.  Anyway - good luck with getting fixed up.

February 26, 2011 02:24 pm
Dave Cushing

Another mac user whose Netflix doesn't work.

I have a Netflix Canada account and Boxee is installed on a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.6.x. I've activated Netflix in the Boxee service area, but when I launch Netflix on the Boxee app and select a movie/show, it continually tries to connect to the server, never getting anywhere.

When I use the Netflix web site from the same Mac, everything works fine - so I believe the problem is in the Boxee Netflix app.

Boxee Version is 0.9.23.15885 for the Mac.

Just to be clear, I have two mac mini's with the exact same configuration, and both have the exact same problem.

February 26, 2011 02:09 pm
Rob Triffo

Yep, my boxee netflix app does the same L S. I've reinstalled, I've relinked to Netflix Canada, but nothing seems to get it working. The My Recommendations works, but if you queue them Boxee display "internal error", if you play them it's just as you described. New Arrivals displays "No Results". The Netflix app is half-baked. It seems to behave the same as it did 6 months ago for me - I don't see any changes.

Boxee: Is there something that we need to do to uninstall the NetFlix app to get the latest version, because I'm not seeing any difference from 6 months ago and yet the talk is that it's fixed?

February 21, 2011 05:31 pm
L S

I can't get Netflix to work on Boxee on my Mac.

I have a Netflix Canada account and Boxee is installed on a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.6.x server. I've activated Netflix in the Boxee service area, but when I launch Netflix on the Boxee app, it doesn't prompt me for a username and password. I uninstalled Boxee and deleted the prefs, etc, but it still doesn't ask me for my username/password.

If I try to watch a show or movie on Netflix, it gets stuck in the accessing movie server stage, even though the progress bar shows the video time progressing as if it is playing.

Any suggestions?

February 20, 2011 07:00 pm

Hildebrand,

Have you logged into your Boxee account on a computer and activated Netflix in the Services area?  If not, you need to do this.  Other than that, if you have a Netflix account already set up, you should be able to launch the app on the Boxee Box and log in to use Netflix.

February 20, 2011 12:54 am
Hildebrand Weatherspoon

I am a huge Boxee and Netflix fan!  So happy that it is finally here, I can't wait to use it.  I need help though:  I logged in through my Boxee account and also connected to Boxee from my Netflix account.  Everything indicates that I am ready to get going.  I tried accessing Netflix through my Boxee console, but after I launch, it just goes back to my "App" page.  Am I doing something wrong???  Please help!  :-)

February 20, 2011 12:25 am
Michael Fluckiger

Sorry, just to clarify, login to the Netflix site on a computer and after setting up then go to the Boxee to launch the app.

February 19, 2011 01:05 am
Michael Fluckiger

Colin, I suggest you just login to your Netflix web site in US or Canada (not sure where you are?)  Sign up for an account and then login to your Boxee account and enable the Netflix service on the Boxee site.  Then, when you launch the Netflix app on your Boxee, it should ask for a user name and password that you set up when you registered with Netflix and voila - you should be streaming in no time.

February 19, 2011 01:03 am
Colin Giles

Are you able to sign up for netflix from the app? It takes me to an account creation screen but then I cannot enter a password. Any ideas? Or anyone having the same issue?

February 18, 2011 09:18 pm
Simon Cousins

@Davey Boom : Netflix is now on the Boxee appliance as of a few days ago.  Time for you to wake up.

February 17, 2011 10:17 pm
Davey Boom

I'm so glad I'm only using the boxee app on my computers.  Didn't cost me a dime..  Wake me up when I can use boxee for netflix..  that would be sweet.

February 17, 2011 10:13 pm
Steven Beothy

I'm not on here to troll but as my first post I want to ask all those who decide to complain about the boxee software or boxee box to please keep it to yourself. Yes we all can't wait for Netflix (even though it's finally here). But give the guys a break, even if they miss a deadline it's still a superior product. There isn't one device on the market that can do half of what the boxee box can do, stream live TV from other countries, stream vudu and netflix, or anything else you can think of. These guys get a pat on the back from me, this is beyond awesome and allowed me to cancel my cable. I watch what I want when I want and a lot of it for free from networks. If your unhappy with the product return it or don't use it and get off these guys backs. They deserve better for their innovative thinking and design. One of the best and smartest products since the iPhone.

February 14, 2011 04:39 pm
David Gomes

Boxee's management team should be fired for continually promising the addition of Netflix "by the end of December...", wait no, "by the end of January", oh wait... It's now February and there is no sign of Netflix on Boxee Box. I wouldn't get aggravated if they would just STFU about their false promise dates!

February 03, 2011 07:59 pm
Chris Czeh

So, Only 2 hours left in the month of January and where's Netflix on the Boxee box?

C'mon, you tech failures.  Get it going.  This is now 120 days overdue.

January 31, 2011 10:19 pm
ivan bakhurin

John, sorry to tell you this, but I contacted Boxee support on the Netflix issue few times. In November 2010 MARCEL HASS responded promising Netflix support by the end of December. Guess what? Never happened. I've bought Apple TV and am happy with what it does. Somehow I do not believe Boxee support's "end of January" deadline. I would have no problem waiting, if Boxee's management address this issue properly. Unfortunately, they do not give a damn. All they wanted is us paying $200 for something that is not working as promised. Shame on them

January 28, 2011 08:09 pm
Mary Rongyos

John O'Day - As an FYI...I have followed progress of addition of Netflix and dlink continues to say availability by end of January. Last night I called Netflix. While talking to the rep I asked if she had any information about when they would be added to Boxee. She said she had no definite information but we can check the Netflix site for announcements or we can call for updates. I'd also like to know when Hulu Plus will be available as updates about that seems to have gotten lost along the way.

January 28, 2011 08:23 am
John O'Day

hi, i just bought a boxee box (by d-link). and there is no netflix. how do i resolve that?

January 27, 2011 11:41 pm
Michael Fluckiger

I just got tagged with the comment from Jeremy so here's what I heard.  I asked Boxee support this question 2 days ago specifically for Netflix in Canada.  I got a support team response today saying that Netflix will be available on the Boxee by the end of January in the USA and shortly after in Canada.  I'm not sure what shortly after means but I have enough faith in these guys to think it will be in Canada within 60 days.  I don't work for D-Link but have used many of their products over the last 10 years and I believe they are a good company - I have no need to doubt this response.

January 12, 2011 08:51 pm
Jeremy Zuniga

So when will the "Boxee Box" (BB) actually support Netflix? Dude, this is so basic that I even have Netflix on my iPad, a Blue Ray Player and it's listed (and works) on nearly every other competitive device....

What is less humorous is that the "Boxee Box" doesn't come out and say, "Coming Soon". Instead it appears as though it is already available, WTH? Let me know if this isn't a priority for your seventh grade crack coding team and I'll be sure to return it. Otherwise, as professionals, please provide a viable update for the delivery date of this application on the (BB).

January 12, 2011 08:29 pm
Duncan Cardinal

What Michael Fluckiger said. I'll concede that it's a ridiculously bad marketing idea to have Netflix listed  as a content partner without a "Coming Soon" caveat directly below the Netflix icon. With that being said, I bought my Boxee Box the day it went on sale in November and do not regret the purchase at all. It's been a fantastic local media streamer so far and is packed with way more online content and apps than I have time to watch. Am I happy that the Canadian Netflix app still isn't here? No, but at this point all indications point to some delay which could be caused by a myriad of different things. (Programing issues, content licensing issues, etc.) I can wait a bit longer for them to do the Boxee Box app right. However, If they suddenly pulled a 180 and said that Netflix WON'T be on the Boxee Box, I would be contacting them pretty damn fast to voice my displeasure. Here's hoping that they get the app out ASAP.

January 09, 2011 01:03 pm
Duncan Cardinal
January 09, 2011 12:58 pm
Michael Fluckiger

I am finding the comments here very interesting - class action lawsuits, you are kidding right.  I bought this box for 200.00, plugged it in and set it up in 5 minutes - really easy.  I can watch streaming movies, tv, view photo albums stores on my dns-323, stream all my music from the same NAS box.  Why all the anger, this thing is pretty cool.  Netflix and many other services will arrive in good time.  Just spend some time playing with this thing to see what it can do.  Try the youtube app - great for instantly finding tons of stuff.  Stop being angry - life's too short.

January 07, 2011 03:54 pm
Luis Martinez

I think I've read enough.

I'm returning the Boxee tomorrow and getting the WD Live TV Hub. And because I bought my Boxee through Wal-Mart they charged me tax soit came out to $217.00. The WD Live TV Hub with 2-Day shipping is $209.00  A good price for something that works.

January 06, 2011 12:42 pm
Mary Rongyos

When I saw the Boxee on a home shopping network, it stated that NetFlix and HuluPlus were available with Boxee Box. Well, I ordered. As I write this I am again reading the description next to the NetFlix logo, above. Says it's available to Mac and Windows. Well, I went through all the steps of signing up for the NetFlix free trial and adding app to my Boxee Box account receiving confirmation that it's established. Still, no NetFlix on the TV. I even went further and searched internet for instructions that say that NetFlix can be added to Boxee and ensured all criteria has been met in setting up. Still, not NetFlix on the TV. So...I just got off the phone with dlink where I was told that the addition of NetFlix and HuluPlus are delayed another month. They now say will be available by end of January. As a result of such descriptions as that next to the NetFlix logo, above, I have "spent" my free Netflix opportunityy by apparently signing up prematurely. Honestly, I do believe that class action suits have been initiated for such situations.

January 04, 2011 06:17 pm
Dwight Fromm

Guess what? Not everyone cares about Netflix on Boxee. I can get that off our Tivos, DVD players, etc, etc. Nor do I can for much watching any web based movies or shows on the boxee - that's why we got cable TV/Tivo. What I do want is to be able to view all my ripped DVDs, music and photos  located on our home PCs. Improved supported for VIDEO_TS folders to at least match the PC version of Boxee would be much appreciated. Thanks.

January 04, 2011 12:21 am
James Hale

Yes. I took mine back too. I loved the Dlink box. It was pretty cool. But Boxee support sucks big time. The software just is not ready for the market. Maybe in a year or two.

I got a WD live TV hub. I like it. The best thing about it, everything works. WD does not put it out till it works right.

It took about 4-5 min to setup. The facebook app is the best I have seen on any media player. It has a I TB hard drive built in and a itunes server. It also has Twonky server built in so you can veiw media on anything that hooks to the network.

Boxee had more apps, but no Netflix or Hulu, which is standard now.

January 03, 2011 02:48 pm
ivan bakhurin

I purchased BB in November and was patiently waiting for the Netflix support, which these idiots promised before the end of 2010. Finally, I got tired from Boxee Box's BS. For Christmas I bought myself Apple TV. It took me 3 minutes to get Netflix working. I have not send my BB back yet, but surely will when I have a little bit of time. I regret buying BB and will never purchase anything else D-Link or Boxee.

January 03, 2011 02:33 pm
Dwayne D

hey very one make sure you tell dlink how ripped of you feel, let them know here is the email address

customerservice@dlink.ca

boycott dlink

January 01, 2011 02:50 am
Dwayne D

time to take the boxee back no netflix in Canada useless without it

everyone as mad as i am i don't think i will ever buy another dlink product again. if this is how they treat there customers forget it

a official press release would be nice then all us suckers would know whats going on

later all don't forget boycott dlink money talks

January 01, 2011 02:40 am
E Burke

I guess it's off to return this and buy apple tv! or better yet, just use my $12 hdmi cable to hook up my computer to my tv. yeah, I won't have a fancy remote with a keyboard, but really, how is boxee without netflix or hulu actually worth anything? What do people use it for then? At least with my hdmi cable, I can go on any damn website I please.

December 31, 2010 04:29 pm
Bill Dow

Please someone wake me up when Netflix works on Boxee.

December 31, 2010 03:18 pm
mnankivel

I just hooked up an old shoebox to my tv with an HDMI cable to see how the Netfix streaming compares to the Boxee Box. So far I find no differences in their Nexflix streaming abilities, but the shoe box takes less clicks not to work... so basically it sucks for free rather than costing $200. Also, just to see I gave the shoe store a call to see if they would help make it work. They would not, but at least they responded - unlike Boxee.

December 31, 2010 03:05 pm
James Hale

and lets not forget the GYMBOX app that came out this week. You got that...right?  That should make you happy.  It does show you they are WORKING on something. forget the fact that noone ask for it.....it still shows they care

December 31, 2010 02:36 pm
Topic is closed for comments